1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab equation problem

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1
    Hello, I am trying to solve the following system of equations simultaneously with matlab:

0=(.3*cos(B)*cos(P)*cos(60))+(.2*sin(60))-(.3*sin(B)*sin(60))+S
    0=(.3*cos(B)*sin(P))-.15
    0=(.2*cos(60))-(.3*cos(B)*cos(P)*sin(60))-(.3*sin(B)*cos(60))

Unknowns are B, P, and S.

I have tried the following code which yields an answer:

syms B P S;

[B,P,S] = solve((.3*cos(B)*cos(P)*cos(pi/3))+(.2*sin(pi/3))-(.3*sin(B)*sin(pi/3))+S, (.3*cos(B)*sin(P))-.15, (.2*cos(pi/3))-(.3*cos(B)*cos(P)*sin(pi/3))-(.3*sin(B)*cos(pi/3)));

// note that the above is in one single line.
    Unfortunately the answer is given to me in the form of another equation with extremely long numbers. I need matlab to give me an answer in the form of one number, how can this be done?

If all else fails I heard that this can be easily done in Maple, but I have no idea how to use it.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2
    Never mind, one my friends figured it out, you just use the eval command to get a numerical answer. i.e. eval(B) to get B.

4. Feb 21, 2008 #3
    Just out of curiosity, where does these equations come from? Robotics? I mean what is your system that is under investigation.

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4
    x2/a2+y2/b2+z2/c2=1
    how to plot this equation?
    help me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?