How to Add Titles to Figures in Matlab Loops (M = 0.85:1:2.85)

In summary, to add titles to figures in Matlab loops, use the title function with a string as an argument. Different titles can be added for each figure by using the title function inside the loop. Formatting options can be specified using additional arguments. Titles can also be automatically generated using the num2str or sprintf functions. Existing figures can have titles added by using the title function with the figure handle retrieved using the gcf function.
ADunn
In Matlab I have a for loop that plots a figure in each loop. (M = 0.85:1:2.85)
I would like to put a title on the figure "M = 0.85" for the first plot, "M=1.85" for the second plot, and "M=2.85" for the third plot. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
title(['M = ',num2str(M)'])

Sorry, got an extra quote mark in there.
title(['M = ',num2str(M)])

Thank you so much!

I am familiar with using Matlab for data analysis and visualization. To add titles to figures in Matlab loops, you can use the "title" function within your loop. In this case, you can use a variable to store the current value of M, and then use that variable to create a title for each figure. For example, you can use the following code within your for loop:

M = 0.85 + (i-1); %assuming i is the loop variable
title(sprintf('M = %.2f', M)); %this will create a title with the current value of M

This will result in a title of "M = 0.85" for the first plot, "M = 1.85" for the second plot, and so on. The "sprintf" function is used to format the title with a certain number of decimal places, in this case, two decimal places. You can adjust this as needed for your specific data.

I hope this helps. Keep exploring and experimenting with Matlab to enhance your data analysis and visualization skills. Happy coding!

1. How do I add titles to figures in Matlab loops?

To add a title to a figure in a Matlab loop, you can use the title function. This function takes in a string as an argument, which will be displayed as the title of the figure.

2. Can I add different titles for each figure in a Matlab loop?

Yes, you can add different titles for each figure in a Matlab loop by using the title function inside the loop. You can either provide a unique string for each figure, or use a variable that changes with each iteration to create a dynamic title.

3. How do I format the titles of figures in a Matlab loop?

You can format the titles of figures in a Matlab loop by using the title function with additional arguments. For example, you can specify the font size, font weight, font color, and alignment of the title using the appropriate name-value pairs.

4. Is there a way to add titles to figures automatically in a Matlab loop?

Yes, you can use the num2str function to automatically generate titles for figures in a Matlab loop. This function converts a numeric value to a string, which can be used as the title for the figure. You can also use the sprintf function to create more complex titles with multiple variables.

5. Can I add titles to existing figures in a Matlab loop?

Yes, you can add titles to existing figures in a Matlab loop by using the title function with the handle of the figure as an argument. You can retrieve the handle of a figure using the gcf function, which stands for "get current figure".