1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab file saving.

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    Hi I have a question, I have to save to file the matrixs generated by an algoritm in Matlab. So i was wondering if is it possibile and how, to use in the filename a variable of the algoritm.

Let's say "i" is the counter of my cicle and i would like to save the matrix generated at every cicle to a file with the name NAMEFILE-i.

i.e.
    for i=1:4
    a=i;
    save file-i a
    end

Of course this is not working :-)

Do i need to use a string?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2
    you need to use the function int2str

mystr = int2str(i);

alternatively if you want to make the file name "NAMEFILE-i" then you can use

sprintf(mystr,'NAMEFILE-%i',i);

you'll have to check the syntax of this though, i can't remember it exactly off-hand. note that %i in the second argument refers to an integer type, not the variable i, whereas i in the last argument is the variable i.

4. Apr 19, 2008 #3
    By the way to output matrices to file...

outfile = fopen(int2str(i),'w');
    dummy = fwrite(outfile,M,'float64');
    fclose(outfile);

This saves the matrix M as binary data to the file 'i'

5. Apr 20, 2008 #4
    Ah thx that was what I was looking for. Now I just need to fix how to save in the right format.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?