MATLAB Floating Point: Find Better Way Than Rounding

In summary, MATLAB constructed V3 such that V3(2) == 15.10000000000001, and V3c(8) == 15.10000000000000. What's the deal?
Pythagorean
Gold Member
so I make a vector:

V3 = [15.05:.05:15.15];
V3c = [14.75:.05:15.15];

find(V3c == Vc(2))

and I get nothing (no matches)

apparently, when MATLAB constructed V3, it did so such that:
V3(2) == 15.10000000000001
and
V3c(8) == 15.10000000000000

what's the deal?

My cheap way around this is:

V3 = fix(V3*1000)/1000

so I multiply by 1000, shave off the remaining decimals, and divide by 1000, but this doesn't seem robust to me. Is there a better way to handle this floating point difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Certain decimal fractions have computer representations that are only approximate, due to the nature of floating point representations. This isn't something that is specific to matlab, but is present in programming languages that store floating points numbers in binary form.

Decimal fractions that involve 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, ... and combinations of them (such as 3/8 = 1/4 + 1/8) have binary representations that are exact. Decimal fractions that involve 1/5, 1/10, and so on have representations that are not exact, because the complete binary representation would require an infinite number of bits. This is similar to the situation with the fraction 1/3 in base-10. The decimal fraction is 0.33333... with an infinite number of 3's. If you truncate the representation, you get a value that is only close to 1/3.

Likewise, the binary representation of 1/10 has an infinitely long binary fraction representation. Since there are only a relatively few bits available (64, typically), the representation is only close to 1/10.

Thank you for your response. I understand the concept of floating point numbers. Why does MATLAB represent 15.1 in two different ways though, and what command can I use to force it to use the same method to define 15.1 the same way in both variables?

found a function that pretty much does what I do, only makes the decimal place an input.
[URL]http://home.online.no/~pjacklam[/URL]/matlab/software/util/fullindex.html[/URL]

[CODE]function y = fixdec(x, n)
%FIXDEC Round towards zero with a specified number of decimals.
%
% Y = FIXDEC(X, N) rounds the elements of X to N decimals.
%
% For instance, fixdec(10*sqrt(2) + i*pi/10, 4) returns 14.1421 + 0.3141i
%
% See also: FIX, FLOOR, CEIL, ROUND, FIXDIG, ROUNDDEC, ROUNDDIG.

% Author: Peter J. Acklam
% Time-stamp: 2004-09-22 20:08:10 +0200
% E-mail: pjacklam@online.no
% URL: [URL]http://home.online.no/~pjacklam[/URL]

% Check number of input arguments.
error(nargchk(2, 2, nargin));

% Quick exit if either argument is empty.
if isempty(x) || isempty(n)
y = [];
return
end

% Get size of input arguments.
size_x = size(x);
size_n = size(n);
scalar_x = all(size_x == 1); % True if x is a scalar.
scalar_n = all(size_n == 1); % True if n is a scalar.

% Check size of input arguments.
if ~scalar_x & ~scalar_n & ~isequal(size_x, size_n)
error(['When both arguments are non-scalars they must have' ...
' the same size']);
end

f = 10.^n;
y = fix(x .* f) ./ f;[/CODE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Pythagorean said:
Thank you for your response. I understand the concept of floating point numbers. Why does MATLAB represent 15.1 in two different ways though, and what command can I use to force it to use the same method to define 15.1 the same way in both variables?
I don't believe that it is representing 15.1 in two different ways. What you are getting are most likely two different values. Your array Vc contains [15.05, 15.05 + .05, 15.05 + .05 + .05]. Because none of those numbers is exactly representable in 64 bits (or however many MATLAB uses for a floating point value), it is extremely unlikely that the array contains [15.05, 15.10, 15.15] as you are probably thinking it is.

The other array contains [14.75, 14.75 + .05, 14.75 + .05 + .05, ...], with values ranging from 14.75 (exactly) up to 15.15 (approximately). Because of the addition of numbers that are only close to .05, the next to last value in the array is only close to 15.10.

Mark44 said:
I don't believe that it is representing 15.1 in two different ways. What you are getting are most likely two different values. Your array Vc contains [15.05, 15.05 + .05, 15.05 + .05 + .05]. Because none of those numbers is exactly representable in 64 bits (or however many MATLAB uses for a floating point value), it is extremely unlikely that the array contains [15.05, 15.10, 15.15] as you are probably thinking it is.

The other array contains [14.75, 14.75 + .05, 14.75 + .05 + .05, ...], with values ranging from 14.75 (exactly) up to 15.15 (approximately). Because of the addition of numbers that are only close to .05, the next to last value in the array is only close to 15.10.

Ah, ok, that adjusts some of my assumption about how floating points are handled (it reminds me of equal tempered tuning!)

My deal was that the difference between the two 15.1's was on the order of e-10, so I was wondering why MATLAB was so picky and why it can't just read my damn mind about significant digits :P

Instead of using the complicated function above, you could just do something like

abs(V3c-V3(2))<epsilon

where you set epsilon as the tolerance you want to keep. This then returns a logical with ones where the two things were equal.

Hope that helps :smile:

1. What is the difference between rounding and finding a better way in MATLAB floating point?

Rounding in MATLAB floating point refers to the process of reducing a number to a specific number of decimal places, while finding a better way involves using more precise methods to represent numbers. Rounding can introduce errors and lead to less accurate results, while finding a better way can help avoid these errors.

2. How can I find a better way to represent numbers in MATLAB floating point?

To find a better way to represent numbers in MATLAB floating point, you can use functions such as "floor" or "ceil" to round numbers to the nearest integer, or "eps" to determine the smallest difference between numbers that can be represented. You can also use "format long" to display more decimal places for a more precise representation.

3. Can using a better way in MATLAB floating point improve the accuracy of my calculations?

Yes, using a better way to represent numbers in MATLAB floating point can improve the accuracy of your calculations. By avoiding rounding errors, you can ensure that your results are more precise and closer to the true values.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a better way in MATLAB floating point?

One potential drawback is that using a better way to represent numbers in MATLAB floating point can result in longer and more complex code, as you may need to use additional functions or change the display format. Additionally, it may not always be necessary to use a more precise representation, as some calculations may not be affected by rounding errors.

5. Can I use a better way in MATLAB floating point for all types of calculations?

Yes, you can use a better way to represent numbers in MATLAB floating point for all types of calculations. However, it is important to consider the level of precision needed for each specific calculation and whether the potential benefits outweigh the potential drawbacks.