Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab for free

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    How can I download matlab for free? Uni starts soon and I want to get the program before that. Can you help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The free trial version is not available to students. I'm not able to tell what the price of the student version is (you have to be able to prove that you are a student), but it probably is not very expensive:

http://www.mathworks.com/academia/student_version/

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

~$100 for a student version.....

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4
    We gave away a free copy of matlab to a random member during our member awards last year. :)

6. Sep 27, 2012 #5
    I can write the random number generator for selecting this year's recipient, if you like. o:)

(muhh hah hah hah!!! :devil: Today, The Multiverse, Tomorrow, The ... um)

7. Sep 27, 2012 #6
    For most tasks, there are also free (gratis) replacements for matlab ;-) which is a possibility unless you are being required to use matlab.

8. Sep 27, 2012 #7
    If your university has a license then you might be able to use a VPN to connect to the license server and use it for free... legally! Worth asking someone in IT before you pay.

9. Sep 27, 2012 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook