Error in MATLAB - Troubleshooting Guide

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter blazin247nc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error Matlab
In summary, the conversation is about an error encountered when trying to use the tf function in MATLAB. The code includes defining variables for wn and z, creating transfer functions, and plotting the step response. The error "Undefined function or method 'tf' for input arguments of type 'double'" is occurring at line 13, where the tf function is being used. The person asking the question is unsure why this error is happening and asks for suggestions on how to fix it.
blazin247nc
[MATLAB] -- Getting Error

Code:

% Define variables for wn and z
wn = 5;
z1 = 0; z2 = 0.2; z3 = 0.9; z4 = 1; z5 = 2; z6 = 30;

% Define transfer functions
num = [wn^2];
den1 = [1, 2*z1*wn, wn^2];
den2 = [1, 2*z2*wn, wn^2];
den3 = [1, 2*z3*wn, wn^2];
den4 = [1, 2*z4*wn, wn^2];
den5 = [1, 2*z5*wn, wn^2];
den6 = [1, 2*z6*wn, wn^2];
tf_1 = tf(num, den1);
tf_2 = tf(num, den2);
tf_3 = tf(num, den3);
tf_4 = tf(num, den4);
tf_5 = tf(num, den5);
tf_6 = tf(num, den6);

% Create plots for step response

step(tf_1)
step(tf_2)
step(tf_3)
step(tf_4)
step(tf_5)
step(tf_6)

I am getting the error:

? Undefined function or method 'tf' for input arguments of type 'double'.

Error in ==> HW9_2 at 13
tf_1 = tf(num, den1);

Any ideas why?

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you created a function for tf?

1. What does "Error in MATLAB" mean?

"Error in MATLAB" is a message that appears when the MATLAB software encounters a problem or issue while running a code. This can be due to a syntax error, a logical mistake, or other errors that prevent the code from executing correctly.

2. How do I troubleshoot errors in MATLAB?

The first step in troubleshooting errors in MATLAB is to carefully read the error message. This will give you an idea of where the error is occurring and what type of error it is. Next, you can use the MATLAB debugger to identify the specific line of code causing the error. You can also try running the code in smaller sections or using the "disp" function to display the values of variables and expressions at different points in the code.

3. Why do I keep getting errors in my MATLAB code?

There can be several reasons why you keep getting errors in your MATLAB code. Some common causes include incorrect syntax, using variables or functions that have not been defined, or using incompatible data types. It is important to carefully check your code for any mistakes and ensure that all variables and functions are defined before running the code.

4. Can I prevent errors in MATLAB?

While it is not always possible to prevent errors in MATLAB, there are some steps you can take to minimize them. These include writing clean and organized code, using comments to explain your code, and testing your code on different inputs to identify any potential errors. It is also helpful to regularly save your work and create backups in case you encounter any errors.

5. How do I know if my code is causing the error or if it is a problem with MATLAB?

If you are unsure whether the error is caused by your code or by a problem with MATLAB, you can try running a different code or a pre-made example code. If the error does not occur with the new code, then it is likely that the issue is with your code. However, if the error persists, then it may be a problem with MATLAB or your computer's setup. In this case, you can try restarting MATLAB or checking for updates to see if that resolves the issue.