1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MATLAB help needed for electric field plotting

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A straight wire of electric charge truncate to length L has a linear charge density of ρ= 8 C/m. Using a computational approach calculate the electric field due to the truncated line at any arbitrary point in space.

Consider L = 1 m, assume line lies along y-axis with the two ends at (0,−L / 2) and (0, L / 2) , and use the MATLAB command quiver to provide a vector plot of the electric field in the x-y plane for a range of −1 m < x < 1m and −1 m < y <1m 2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted at this question and got the following equation:

E = [ρ/(4∏εr)] [(sin β1 - sin β2) + (cos β1 - cos β2)]
    - where β is the angle between an arbitrary point and the line.
    - sine is in the x direction, cosine is in the y direction

in an attempt to get a value instead of an equation, i place point P at the corner of the "imaginary box" (since the limit given to me was a 1 by 1 box).

β1 = 56.3°
    β2 = 26.6°

the problem is i don't know how am i suppose to continue.

worst of all, i don't get what i am suppose to expect from the graph and having no experience in MATLAB, i don't know how to plot it.

a sample code (as shown below) was given to me to analysis but when i tried playing around with the codes using my value, but i got a weird looking graph (not even having a single vector) was given to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2012 #2

uart

Science Advisor

Hi killer. You didn't really explain how you came up with a formula for vector components Ex(x,y) and Ey(x,y).

Are you supposed to use a "closed form" expression for these or are you to calculate them numerically in matlab? For example, I can fairly easily write them as a definite integral (which I could evaluate numerically in matlab) but I don't seem to be able to get anything simpler.

Start by clearly explaining exactly what expressions you are trying to use for the vector components Ex,Ey.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook