Matlab help required RE Fourier transfor of laser output

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of a multimode laser and the analysis of its output as a function of the number of modes. The code for the output P is deemed correct, but help is needed in coding the P spectrum in the Fourier domain. The laser parameters are defined, and the power spectrum is plotted in both the time and Fourier domains.
dazzday
Hi guys, look time lurker first time poster. I am simulating a simple multimode laser to analyse its output as a function of the number of modes.

Have the code for output P which i think is correct but i now need to do analyse the P spectrum in the Fourier domain.

I know my base should be p = abs(fft(f)) but I am struggling to code it right! any help appreciate guys!

% Define laser parameters

Em = 1; %
factor = 2*pi;
c = 3e8; % speed of light
lambda = 1.5500e-006;
L = 1.5;
modes = 80
FSR = c/(2*L); % free spectral range of the cavity
t = -27e-9:1e-12:27e-9; % go from -27 ns to +27 ns in steps of 1 ps.
total = 0;
Upper = (c/lambda)+(modes*FSR); % Upper frequency limit: c/lambda + (modes * FSR)

for f = (c/lambda):FSR:Upper % go from fundamental laser frequency to higher freqs by steps of 1 FSR
phase = randn*factor; % calculate the phase for the mth mode
E = Em*cos(2*pi*f*t+phase); % calculate electric field for mth mode
total = total+E;
end

Power = abs(total).^2;
time = t./(1e-9);

% Plot power spectrum in time domain
PowerPlot = figure;
plot(time,Power/max(Power))
xlabel('time (ns)')
ylabel('y(t)')
title('Power Spectrum in Time Domain')
grid
xlim([-27 27])

Physics news on Phys.org
% Plot power spectrum in Fourier domainP = abs(fft(Power))/max(abs(fft(Power))); % Normalize the resultf = linspace(-Upper,Upper,length(P)); % Create frequency vector PowerSpectrumPlot = figure;plot(f,P)xlabel('Frequency (Hz)')ylabel('P(f)')title('Power Spectrum in Fourier Domain')gridxlim([-Upper Upper])

1. What is a Fourier transform and why is it important in analyzing laser output?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a complex waveform into its individual frequency components. In the context of laser output, it allows us to analyze the different frequencies present in the output and understand the characteristics of the laser.

2. How do I perform a Fourier transform on laser output using Matlab?

To perform a Fourier transform on laser output using Matlab, you can use the built-in function "fft" which stands for "fast Fourier transform". This function takes in the laser output data as input and outputs the frequency components and their corresponding amplitudes.

3. Can I visualize the results of the Fourier transform in Matlab?

Yes, you can visualize the results of the Fourier transform in Matlab by plotting the frequency components on the x-axis and their corresponding amplitudes on the y-axis. This will give you a graphical representation of the different frequencies present in the laser output.

4. How can I use the Fourier transform results to improve the performance of my laser?

The Fourier transform results can provide valuable insights into the characteristics of the laser output, such as the dominant frequencies and any noise present. This information can be used to adjust the laser settings and optimize its performance, such as reducing noise or increasing efficiency.

5. Is there any other useful Matlab functions for analyzing laser output?

Yes, there are other useful Matlab functions such as "ifft" for inverse Fourier transform, "fftshift" for shifting the zero-frequency component to the center of the spectrum, and "spectrogram" for visualizing the frequency components over time. These functions can be helpful in further analyzing and interpreting the laser output data.