Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: MATLAB help

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A modified form of the trapezium rule for calculating the area under a curve makes use of strips
    of varying width: by using narrower strips where the gradient varies more rapidly, better
    accuracy can be achieved. Create a function to perform the integral

[tex]\int1/x dx[/tex] between 1 and 101

using the trapezium rule with strips that increase geometrically in width, such that,

[tex]\Delta[/tex]Xn=rn-1[tex]\Delta[/tex]X1 where [tex]\Delta[/tex]Xn is the width of the nth strip and r is a constant (which is an
    input to the function).
    Choose the value of Δx1 to give a total of 100 strips for any value of r (hint: you will need the
    formula for the sum of a geometric progression to calculate Δx1).

2. Relevant equations
    b00394bd694cf4efdc248ce10ba6d29b.png

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure where to start really, I mean a simple application of the trapezium rule to it would be simple enough. Define a vector x=[1:1:101] and then y=1./x and integral=trapz(x,y) or something along those lines (I don't have access to MATLAB from home so I couldn't be sure). Any point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2010 #2
    Did you ever find an answer to this question?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook