1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: MATLAB: Ion Trap

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    Hey guys, I asked this before but I don't know where the thread is, and now it's more detailed, haha.

So attached is a png of the trap design. I'm trying to make a function on MATLAB where I can predict the ion's movement/oscillation. So the E1-E5 are electrodes, which have a combined potential of Vs, and Z1 has a potential of Vz. So I figure I'm going to do a function which fits ode45, if you don't know what that is, you can still help probably.

But anyways, those electrodes have a potential set upon them. Can someone explain to me what exactly that means? Like, say Vs = 1kV and Vz = 10kV... If I were near the middle of the field free region, would I be feeling the same potential as opposed to if I were right next to them? What exactly does, "these electrodes have a potential of ___ on them" mean?

Attached Files:

• trap.png
      trap.png
      File size:
      29.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted