Matlab - - final year project (ion propusion)

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to simulate an electrostatic craft going from low Earth orbit to a geostationary orbit using MATLAB. They are having trouble with the syntax and getting the correct outputs, and are seeking help and suggestions. They also mentioned using a computer that is not theirs and realizing that the files are trying to run in Mathematica instead of MATLAB.
Ewok

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm trying to simulate an electrostatic craft going from low Earth orbit to a geostationary orbit, but I'm having some trouble with matlab. I'm not the most confident programmer at the best of times, but needs must and so I've given it a go. As far as I can tell my syntax is correct, but I can't seem to get the correct outputs. The main aim that I have is to get the program to produce a plot of the spiral orbit, but it isn't playing ball.

Basically I think I've been staring at the code for too long and can't see where I'm going wrong, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've included the 3 files that I'm using, the main file being LEO-GEO orbit xfer

If anyone can suggest any tweaks or things that I'm missing that would be great, also, the code is supposed to ask me to input a value for the thrust, but I never seem to get a prompt - again, maybe I'm missing something here.

Thanks Again

Attachments

• LEO-GEO orbit xfer.m
    6.5 KB · Views: 409
  • two_body.m
    508 bytes · Views: 383
  • Calc_R_a.m
    642 bytes · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh ! I'm using a computer that isn't mine and I've just realized that the files are trying to run in mathematica not MATLAB - sorry about that.

I'll have another go - sticking it into MATLAB for certain this time ! So please ignore this post for the moment

Cheers

1. What is Matlab?

Matlab is a high-level programming language and interactive environment widely used in scientific and engineering applications. It allows for data analysis, algorithm development, and creating models and simulations.

2. What is the final year project for ion propulsion?

The final year project for ion propulsion involves using Matlab to design and simulate a propulsion system that uses ions to generate thrust. This technology is commonly used in spacecraft and satellites.

3. Can Matlab be used for ion propulsion research?

Yes, Matlab is a powerful tool for conducting research on ion propulsion. It offers a variety of functions and tools for analyzing and designing propulsion systems, as well as providing a user-friendly interface for running simulations and experiments.

4. Are there any resources available for learning Matlab for ion propulsion?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning Matlab specifically for ion propulsion. Some universities offer courses on this topic, and there are also online tutorials and guides available.

5. Can Matlab be used for real-time control of ion propulsion systems?

Yes, Matlab has the capability to interface with hardware and can be used for real-time control of ion propulsion systems. This allows for the implementation and testing of control algorithms and optimization strategies in real-world scenarios.