Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab on Asus EeePC X101CH

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1

Log

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting this laptop, it's small and cheap. I hope it's good enough for doing student-level calculations in Matlab, perhaps some simple programming, surfing, writing documents in Word etc.

Anyone tried Matlab on one of these?

I currently have a laptop but I'm so used to it being "stationary" and I feel like it's too clumsy to carry around.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_X101CH/#specifications

It has a 1.6 ghz dual core atom processor, should be enough for smaller calculations right?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2
  4. Oct 25, 2012 #3

Log

The specifications seem to be identical to the one I was looking at.

So how small calculations are we talking about?

From what I've been reading it seems that the biggest problem might be that it only has 1 gb ram. I was thinking of installing Windows 8 and the latest version of Matlab. The largest calculations I've done so far in Matlab is just with some vectors of size ~30'000, using fourier transforms and such. My current laptop does this in a second. Think this laptop could handle that sort of calculations?

I've been looking around and found a laptop equipped with a i5 ivy bridge cpu and 4 gb ram for 3 times the price, not sure if it's worth the price just for doing some occasional work.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  5. Oct 25, 2012 #4
  6. Oct 25, 2012 #5

jhae2.718

Gold Member

I've run MATLAB on my eeePC 900. R2012a runs decently on Gentoo with 2 GB of RAM.

I use the eeePC as my "travel" laptop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook