Can Matlab Handle Optimization with Normal Distribution Constraints?

In summary, the user is new to Matlab and is trying to solve an optimization problem involving the cumulative distribution function and derivatives in the constraints function. It is possible to solve this problem in Matlab using built-in functions such as fmincon and numerical differentiation methods.
hari
hello ,i m quite new to Matlab and I am sorry if my question is too trivial but i couldn't find answers in help.Im trying to solve an optimisation problem .given the execution time for different tasks(sorting algorithms),i plotted the cumulative distribution functions.(y axis-cumulative probability Q ;x axis-execution time t)
I've managed to reduce my problem to this ;where NORMINV(Q,mu,sigma)=inverse of the normal cumulative distribution with mean 'mu',stddev 'sigma'
Is it possible to solve such a problem in Matlab?i just want to confirm or how i can make it mathlab compatible.

my problem is having derivatives in the constraints function.

maximize Q
s.t
n
Sum (NORMINV(Q,mu_i ,sigma_i ) * k_i ) <= K
i=0
where k_i,K ,n are known constants.
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It is definitely possible to solve this type of optimization problem in Matlab. The first step would be to define your objective function, which in this case is maximizing Q. Then, you can define your constraints using the known constants and the NORMINV function. Matlab has built-in functions for optimization such as fmincon and fminsearch that you can use to solve your problem.

As for the issue with derivatives in the constraints function, you can use numerical differentiation methods such as finite differences or central differences to approximate the derivatives and incorporate them into your optimization problem.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your optimization problem!

for your time

Hello,

Yes, it is possible to solve optimization problems in Matlab. There are several built-in functions and tools specifically designed for optimization, such as fmincon, fminsearch, and linprog.

In your case, since your problem involves derivatives in the constraints function, you may need to use the fmincon function, which is used for constrained optimization problems. It allows you to specify the constraints and their derivatives as input arguments.

I would suggest looking into the documentation for fmincon and other optimization functions in Matlab to understand how to properly formulate and solve your problem. You can also reach out to the Matlab community for further assistance.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your optimization problem!

What is Matlab optimisation?

Matlab optimisation is a process of finding the best solution for a given problem by using mathematical algorithms and techniques. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications to optimize factors such as cost, time, or performance.

What types of problems can be solved using Matlab optimisation?

Matlab optimisation can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including linear and nonlinear programming, constrained and unconstrained optimization, and global and local optimization. It is also commonly used for parameter estimation, curve fitting, and design optimization.

How does Matlab handle optimisation problems?

Matlab has a built-in optimization toolbox that provides a variety of functions and algorithms for solving optimization problems. It uses a combination of numerical and symbolic methods to find the optimal solution, which can be a single value or a set of values.

What are the steps involved in solving an optimisation problem using Matlab?

The general steps for solving an optimisation problem using Matlab are:

• Define the objective function.
  • Specify the constraints, if any.
  • Select an appropriate optimization algorithm.
  • Set the initial values for the variables.
  • Run the optimization algorithm.
  • Analyze and interpret the results.

What are the advantages of using Matlab for optimisation?

Some of the benefits of using Matlab for optimization problems include:

• Efficiency: Matlab has a variety of built-in functions and algorithms that can handle complex optimization problems efficiently.
  • Flexibility: Matlab allows for easy customization and adaptation of optimization algorithms to fit specific problems.
  • Visualization: The results of optimization can be easily visualized and analyzed in Matlab using graphs and plots.
  • Integration: Matlab can be easily integrated with other programming languages and software for a more comprehensive optimization solution.