What are some tips for debugging MATLAB plots?

Sorry for not responding, I am an expert summarizer of content.]In summary, the conversation discussed a beginner's issue with plotting solutions of differential equations in MATLAB. The warning "Matrix is singular" indicated a potential division by zero error, while the "NaN" result confirmed this. Debugging tools were recommended to help resolve the issue.
saravanan13
Dear friends
I M. Saravanan, currently working in MATLAB attempting to plot some solutions of the differential equations.
When plotting I received a command "Warning: Matrix is singular to working precision" for the solution step in the M files. Since as a beginner this statement make me to proceed further.
The solution involves a lot of parameter so that by tuning the parameter I could get the plot.

Also another command which I received is "Nan".

I could be benefit enough if someone could be help me in this regard.

Physics news on Phys.org
The warning tells you that you probably divided by zero somewhere (or did another similar operation). The NaN (not a number, and not the delicious naan bread) you see in your results is confirmation of this. I'd suggest using the debugging features to set some breakpoints, or step through your m-file and debug your code:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_env/brqxeeu-175.html
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MATLAB_Programming/Debugging_M_Files

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Matlab plot?

A Matlab plot is a graphical representation of data created using the Matlab software. It allows you to visualize data and identify patterns and relationships between variables.

2. How do I plot data in Matlab?

To plot data in Matlab, you can use the "plot" function, which takes in the x and y coordinates of your data points. You can also customize your plot by adding labels, titles, and changing the color and style of the plot.

3. Can I plot multiple data sets on the same plot in Matlab?

Yes, you can plot multiple data sets on the same plot in Matlab by using the "hold on" function. This will allow you to add multiple lines or data points to the same plot.

4. How can I save my Matlab plot as an image?

You can save your Matlab plot as an image by using the "saveas" function. This allows you to save your plot in different formats such as .png, .jpg, or .pdf.

5. Is there a way to add a legend to my Matlab plot?

Yes, you can add a legend to your Matlab plot by using the "legend" function. This allows you to label each data set and specify its corresponding color or style on the plot.