1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab plots

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Oscillation in mechanical structures can often be described by the function:

y(t)=(e^(-t/τ))*sin(ωt+θ)

Where t is time , ω is oscillation frequency in radians per unit time. The oscillations have a period of 2*π/ω and their amplitudes decay in time at a rate determined by τ which is called the time constant. THe smaller the value of τ the faster the oscillations die out/

2. Relevant equations

a.) Use the above information to develop a criterion for choosing the spacing of t values and the upper limit on t to obtain an accurate plot of y(t). (Hint two cases: 4τ>2π/ω and 4τ<2π/ω)

b) Plot y(t) for τ= 10, ω=π and θ=2

c)Plot y(t) for τ= 0.1, ω=8π and θ=2

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt is below, however what is bothering me is question (a). A criterion for choosing the spacing values for t and the upper limit. ?? Can't figure it out and also the hint.. How is that related? I just played around with numbers, and got those plots.

tau=10;
    omega=pi;
    fi=2;
    t=(-40:0.1:10);
    f=(exp(-t./tau)).*sin(omega.*t+fi);
    subplot(2,1,1)
    plot(t,f)

tau2=0.1;
    omega2=8*pi;
    fi=2;
    t=(-0:0.1:80);
    f2=(exp(-t./tau2)).*sin(omega2.*t+fi);
    subplot(2,1,2)
    plot(t,f2)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try playing around some more then and see what makes the spacing of t values too big.
    What do the two limiting cases represent physically?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted