Find Roots of Function & Return Column Vector

In summary, the purpose of finding the roots of a function is to determine the values of the input variable that result in an output of zero. This is useful for solving equations, understanding function behavior, and graphing. The roots can be found using various methods, such as graphing, factoring, or setting the function equal to zero. A column vector is a matrix with one column that is often used to represent the different potential solutions for the input variable. When finding roots using a programming language, a column vector can be returned using the "return" statement. A function can have multiple roots, with the number depending on its degree and complexity. For example, a quadratic function can have up to two roots, while a cubic function can
noobienoob
i need to create a function that returns the pure zeros on the left semiplane and 0 if there is one and only one zero in the origin of the referential. the return has to be in a column vector like [root1;root2;...;rootn;0] or [root1;root2;...;rootn] if there is no root in the origin of the referential. i can get a column full of zeros or an empty vector. i can post the code of what i made if necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
coluna.PNG
vazio.PNG

that is what i got so far. but I'm stuck here...

1. What is the purpose of finding the roots of a function?

The roots of a function are the values of the input variable that make the output of the function equal to zero. Finding the roots of a function is useful in solving equations, understanding the behavior of a function, and graphing the function.

2. How do you find the roots of a function?

To find the roots of a function, you can use various methods such as graphing, factoring, or using the quadratic formula. Another common method is to set the function equal to zero and solve for the input variable.

3. What is a column vector?

A column vector is a matrix with only one column, containing a set of values arranged in a vertical format. In the context of finding the roots of a function, a column vector is often used to represent the different possible solutions for the input variable.

4. How can you return a column vector when finding the roots of a function?

When finding the roots of a function using a programming language, you can use the "return" statement to output a column vector containing the solutions for the input variable. This allows you to easily access and use the roots in further calculations or analyses.

5. Can a function have multiple roots?

Yes, a function can have multiple roots. These are the values of the input variable that make the output of the function equal to zero. The number of roots a function has depends on its degree and complexity. For example, a quadratic function can have up to two roots, while a cubic function can have up to three roots.