Solving 5 Unknowns with Gauss-Seidel in MATLAB

In summary, Gauss-Seidel method is an iterative algorithm used to solve linear systems of equations. It works by repeatedly improving an initial guess for the solution until the desired level of accuracy is reached. Its advantages include speed and efficiency, as well as the ability to solve larger systems without storing the entire matrix. However, it can only be used for linear systems and other methods must be used for non-linear systems. In MATLAB, it can be implemented using a loop and convergence criteria to determine accuracy.
osqen

Homework Statement

100 - 100C1 = 0

100(C1) + 5(C3) - 150(C2) - 30(C2) = 0

150(C2) + 5(C4) - 75(C3) - 37,5(C3) = 0

70(C3) + 10(C5) - 40(C4) - 20(C4) = 0

75(C4) - 80(C5) - 24(C5) = 05 unknowns and 5 equations

my question is " how can i solve his problem using Gauss-Seidel method in MATLAB program ( not with hand calc.)" ,
if anyone can help, i'll be pleased:) thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the problem, do you not know Matlab or not know the Gauss-Seidel algorithm?

I would suggest using the built-in function "gaussseidel" in MATLAB to solve this problem. This function uses the Gauss-Seidel method to solve a system of linear equations. You can input your equations and unknowns as matrices and the function will give you the solution. Additionally, you can also use the "fsolve" function in MATLAB to solve the equations numerically. Both of these methods would be more efficient and accurate compared to solving by hand.

1. What is Gauss-Seidel method?

Gauss-Seidel method is an iterative algorithm used to solve a system of linear equations. It is an improvement over the Gauss-Jordan elimination method and is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications.

2. How does Gauss-Seidel method work?

The Gauss-Seidel method starts with an initial guess for the solution of the system of equations. It then uses this guess to find a better estimate for the solution. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What is the advantage of using Gauss-Seidel method?

The Gauss-Seidel method can be faster and more efficient than other methods for solving systems of linear equations. It also allows for the solution of larger systems since it does not require storing the entire matrix at once.

4. Can Gauss-Seidel method be used for non-linear systems?

No, Gauss-Seidel method can only be used for solving linear systems of equations. For non-linear systems, other methods such as Newton's method or the Broyden method can be used.

5. How can I implement Gauss-Seidel method in MATLAB?

In MATLAB, the Gauss-Seidel method can be implemented using a loop that updates the solution vector based on the previous iteration's values. The code should also include convergence criteria to determine when the desired accuracy has been achieved.