Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab Question (book) + Software Tools

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    Hi, Im an EE student right now. I'm planning on learning a little more in dept about matlab. I have a basic intro to matlab for engineering book, and I've exhausted the material for it.

Any suggestions on a good book that contains topics that I can use for later classes (such as control systems, signal and systems, etc....)

Also, I want to learn at least one software tool for circuit simulation. I've heard of PSpice, which is the personal edition of spice. Also, of MultiSim.

Any recommendations as to which prog to use and what book is helpful?

Thanks again!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2
    We use pspice at my university. As far as Matlab books are concerned just look on http://amazon.com or your university's library. You can also check this forum out that is dedicated to Matlab http://www.kluid.com/
  4. Nov 2, 2006 #3
    Let me give you a tip for your control systems, communication systems and signals classes: open up MATLAB and type "simulink" without the quotes.

Learn to use Simulink, because it will save your life during control systems. It is the greatest tool a control engineer can have. You can also do circuit simulations, I believe, but I've always used PSPICE and HSPICE for that.

A good MATLAB book I've used is "Contemporary Communication Systems using MATLAB & Simulink" by John Proakis. When the time comes for you to take a Comm. class, get that book.

Other good things to know for MATLAB are the functions:

tf() to enter a transfer function

bode() to get a Bode plot

rlocus() to get a root locus plot

nyquist() to get a Nyquist plot

roots() to get the poles/zeros from an eqn (there are other functions for
    this, but this is the fastest when you are new)

conv() to convolve polynomials, so you don't have to multiply out two 10th order systems.

step() to generate a step response

Simulink is integrated perfectly with MATLAB, so you can use both at the same time to really learn about the system you are working with.

You will use these functions over, and over, and over, and over.
  5. Nov 2, 2006 #4

Modern Control Systems by Richard C. Dorf and Robert H. Bishop has lots of problems to be solved in Matlab.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?