Filling an n4 x n4 Matrix with a 4 x 4 Matrix

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter ziad1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation is about filling a larger [n4 X n4] matrix with n times a smaller [4 X 4] matrix. The suggested solution is to use repmat() function, which can be found by typing "help repmat" at the prompt.
ziad1985
I have a [4 X 4] matrix , and another one which is [n4 X n4] n is an integer.
my question is there a way to fill the [n4 X n4] with n times the small [4 X 4] one.
meaning if the [4 X 4] is a
what i want to do is
a a a a
a a a a
a a a a
a a a a
n is 4 , so it's [16 X 16]
any certain function to use ? or it would have to be a For Loops to use ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think repmat() is what you need. Type help repmat at the prompt for instructions on the use.

Yes, there is a way to fill the [n4 X n4] matrix with n times the [4 X 4] matrix. This can be achieved by using a nested for loop. The outer loop will iterate n4 times to fill the rows of the larger matrix, while the inner loop will iterate n4 times to fill each row with n copies of the [4 X 4] matrix.

In pseudocode, it would look something like this:

for i from 0 to n4-1:
for j from 0 to n4-1:
for k from 0 to 3: (since the [4 X 4] matrix has 4 rows)
for l from 0 to 3: (since the [4 X 4] matrix has 4 columns)
[n4 X n4] matrix[i*4 + k][j*4 + l] = [4 X 4] matrix[k][l]

This will fill the [n4 X n4] matrix with n times the [4 X 4] matrix. You can also use other programming concepts like indexing and slicing to achieve the same result.

What is a n4 x n4 matrix?

A n4 x n4 matrix is a square matrix with n rows and n columns, where n is any positive integer. This means that the matrix has the same number of rows and columns, and can be written as n x n.

What is a 4 x 4 matrix?

A 4 x 4 matrix is a square matrix with 4 rows and 4 columns. It is a specific type of n4 x n4 matrix, where n=4.

Why would you want to fill a n4 x n4 matrix with a 4 x 4 matrix?

Filling a n4 x n4 matrix with a 4 x 4 matrix is a common mathematical operation that allows us to perform operations on larger matrices using smaller ones. This can help simplify calculations and make them more efficient.

How do you fill a n4 x n4 matrix with a 4 x 4 matrix?

To fill a n4 x n4 matrix with a 4 x 4 matrix, you can use a process called tiling. This involves replicating the 4 x 4 matrix multiple times and arranging them in a grid pattern to fill the larger matrix.

Are there any special considerations when filling a n4 x n4 matrix with a 4 x 4 matrix?

Yes, there are a few things to keep in mind when filling a n4 x n4 matrix with a 4 x 4 matrix. Firstly, the dimensions of the larger matrix (n4 x n4) must be divisible by the dimensions of the smaller matrix (4 x 4). Additionally, the number of times the smaller matrix is replicated will determine the size of the final matrix.