1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MATLAB Question?

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Plot a suitably scaled normal distribution on top of a histogram made with 100 random values.

3. The attempt at a solution

x = -2,9:0.1:2.9;

y = randn(100,1);

nd = exp(-x.^2/2)/sqrt(2*pi);

hist(y,x);

hold on;

plot(x,nd);

plot(-x,nd);

holf off;

This is not working. What am I doing wrong? Also how do I ensure that it is suitably scaled?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2
    Hey
    I think you have to change "plot(y,x)" to "plot(x,y)". Remove also "hold off;" (written as "holf off" but I suppose it is an type error). I don't understand why you first plot nd as a function of x and then as a function of -x. As nd is an even function you only need to plot it as a function of x.

4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    Umm i'll try and explain my thoughts then.

I plotted fn as both a function and a function of -x so that I got your average bell shaped curve. for this I need to go back to -3 as well as +3 on the x-axis. When I tried changing it to just x it did not work sadly.

Also I need to plat a histogram so changing it to plot would not work. the only way I can get the historgram to work is by plotting (y,x). thanks

5. Oct 10, 2008 #4
    I have not got this far:

%%
    x = 0:0.1:3;

nd = 10.*exp(-x.^2/2)/sqrt(2*pi);

plot(x,nd);

hold on;

plot(-x,nd);
    %%
    x = -2.9:0.1:2.9;

y = randn(100,1);

hist (y,x);

hold off

This will give me what I want. So all I need to do is suitably scale it. How do I do this? Is there some way I can tell how well it matches?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?