Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab question

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    For a junior design project i heard about a student using matlab to help operate a solar cell. Basically the sensors detected the light and shifted the p.v.cell into the lights direction, if you were to move light then cell would get re-adjusted. I guess my question is that Im not sure how he involved matlab....................thanks for reading or even replying.......

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

In all likelihood, he used MATLAB to duplicate what a microprocessor (or a regular PC without MATLAB) could do with some extra programming: reading analog values (or not, if he used multiple directional light sensors), and some sort of interface to control a stepper motor.

I TA'd a group a few years back for their capstone electronics design project. They used MATLAB to control a big robotic arm, via a serial (RS-232) interface. The low-level was handled by a PIC microcontroller (reading of position sensors, low-level motor control, limit switch detection), which interfaced with MATLAB to control the high-level functionality (and provide an easy-to-use GUI--graphical user interface)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook