Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab -> quick question

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    Matlab --> quick question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

suppose I want to set a = [0:64] with an output of 9 increments. For the life of me I cannot remember how to do this other than doing it brute force style.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

since 64/9=7.11 then, a =[0:7.11:64] gives me 9 increments but I know there's a better way to do this. please help, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2
    help linspace

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    yes, thanks

5. Mar 30, 2008 #4
    is there a way that i can plot more points in the x-axis and the y-axis? instead of going by 5 -10 -15- 20 and go 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9...20 .

6. Mar 30, 2008 #5
    well, I'm no matlab expert, but here goes.

When you specify x and y, making x= [5:1:20] will give you 5, 6, 7, 8... 20. you can do this for y also. then when you plot (x, y) it should give you what you need.

i hope that helps, let me know if i misunderstood your question.

7. Mar 30, 2008 #6
    if i plot x= [5:1:20] and y= [5:1:20], the axes spacing goes 5,10,15,20, but i would like to make it go 1 by 1. thus showing more points in the plot.

not sure if that is possible, but that´s why im asking i guess.

thanks for your help btw

8. Mar 31, 2008 #7
    I think you're just referring to the tick marks on the axis. The distribution of tick marks is not related to the number of points plotted on the graph. You can change the tick mark distribution either going to 'axis properties' in the 'edit' menu of the plot, or you can define them from the command line. For example,
    Code (Text):
    x = -pi:.1:pi;
    y = sin(x);
    plot(x,y)
    set(gca,'XTick',-pi:pi/2:pi)
    set(gca,'XTickLabel',{'-pi','-pi/2','0','pi/2','pi'})
    defines the tick placement and the labels.

9. Mar 31, 2008 #8
    thank you very much. thats exactly what i meant to say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?