Matlab -> quick question

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter lewdtenant
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Matlab --> quick question

1. Homework Statement

suppose I want to set a = [0:64] with an output of 9 increments. For the life of me I cannot remember how to do this other than doing it brute force style.

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

since 64/9=7.11 then, a =[0:7.11:64] gives me 9 increments but I know there's a better way to do this. please help, thanks.

Answers and Replies

help linspace

yes, thanks

is there a way that i can plot more points in the x-axis and the y-axis? instead of going by 5 -10 -15- 20 and go 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9...20 .

well, I'm no matlab expert, but here goes.

When you specify x and y, making x= [5:1:20] will give you 5, 6, 7, 8... 20. you can do this for y also. then when you plot (x, y) it should give you what you need.

i hope that helps, let me know if i misunderstood your question.

if i plot x= [5:1:20] and y= [5:1:20], the axes spacing goes 5,10,15,20, but i would like to make it go 1 by 1. thus showing more points in the plot.

not sure if that is possible, but that´s why im asking i guess.

thanks for your help btw

if i plot x= [5:1:20] and y= [5:1:20], the axes spacing goes 5,10,15,20, but i would like to make it go 1 by 1. thus showing more points in the plot.

not sure if that is possible, but that´s why im asking i guess.

thanks for your help btw
I think you're just referring to the tick marks on the axis. The distribution of tick marks is not related to the number of points plotted on the graph. You can change the tick mark distribution either going to 'axis properties' in the 'edit' menu of the plot, or you can define them from the command line. For example,
Code:
x = -pi:.1:pi;
y = sin(x);
plot(x,y)
set(gca,'XTick',-pi:pi/2:pi)
set(gca,'XTickLabel',{'-pi','-pi/2','0','pi/2','pi'})
defines the tick placement and the labels.

thank you very much. thats exactly what i meant to say.