1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MATLAB - Simple loop?

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    OK, I've a much more complicated code, but I've simplified the below to portend to my question more specifically.

Basically, I want to store some arrays as variables in the following manner:
    q1 = 2
    q2 = 3
    q3 = 4
    q9 = 10
    q10 = 11

Does anyone know what I should use instead of the parentheses "[ ]" which would have worked in C++?
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use () instead of [].
    Also, you can't use 0 as an index in Matlab; i.e. the first element in an array is element 1 (in your case q(1) )

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    Hmm, thanks for the help, it came up with a 1x10 matrix which would have been good for my stated problem, but I think what I really need are 10 1x1 matrices. I apologise that I didn't elaborate further as I'm not sure if I can clearly express the full problem, but maybe it will make more sense to you if I try to elaborate what I'm doing anyway:

I have 2 M-files, 1 containing a PDE geometry (order5gloop), and 1 containing its boundary conditions (order5bloop).

There's obviously something wrong with the above as I'm not sure where to place the "for" command.

Manually, I would have filled in a real number as "r" and used the following commands to solve the PDE:

But I would prefer if I could loop for r=1:0.01:4 (writing 400 of these is impractical), and put each set of results (this gives me 3 columns: x, y, u) as variables C1, C2, C3, C4, C5... i.e. C(r). It makes my life easier to have different matrices... I think, as I will have to calculate the standard deviation of [u_(n) - u_(n-1)]/[y_(n) - y_(n-1)] where x=2 of each C.
    Would anyone kindly know where I could start the loop command and what I should do for the C1, C2... etc. problem?

Thanks in advance!

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But why would you use different matricies? Why not just a single matrix and an index (in this case a 1D matrix, i.e. an array)?
    It might be conceptually slightly more difficult to understand but it is definitly more efficient.
    Also, why can't you simply use a loop when you calculate the standard devition and store the result in a new vector?

Moreover, note that you can use 3D matricies in Matlab meaning there is nothing stopping you from storing many 2D matrices in a single 3D matrix (with one index use as a "label").

Generally speaking you should ALWAYS use matricies when you can in Matlab and preferably also matrix operations this are much more efficent than for-loops.

6. Nov 17, 2008 #5
    OK, I thought it through and realized that you're right about using a single 3D matrix. Your help has been much appreciated.

My concern now is how to implement this. You mentioned that "matrix operations are much more efficient than for-loops [for this]", could you give me a nudge in the direction to get started? My for-loop still doesn't work, and I don't mind abandoning it for whatever is more efficient. I tried changing the head (see the blue parts) and introducing the (r):

Thanks!

7. Nov 20, 2008 #6

zyh

What do you want to do with matrix operation. I read you post, but I'm sorry I can't understand your question. Please give a more specific piece of code. The m file you give us is too long to understand.

8. Dec 10, 2008 #7
    Sorry that I didn't reply for a long time (it would be rude not to considering you've offered your help and read through my post), I've been busy with my medical checkups.

I can't explain my problem any better; I'm trying to settle it myself instead and work towards using a 3D matrix as suggested.

Nonetheless, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?