Matlab Trial Version: Test Simulation for PhD

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking if they can use a trial version of Matlab for their PhD simulations and someone else suggesting they use Octave instead. The original person is unsure about Octave and the other person recommends getting a student license for Matlab instead.
NayKod
Hello Everybody,

I'm new to this interesting forum and this is my first post :)

So i wonder if can i use a Trial version of Matlab to perform some simulation for my Phd. Is the Trial version allow doing some important tests ?

Thank you for your answer

Physics news on Phys.org
I would never use time-limited software for a critical application. Why not use octave instead of matlab?

DrClaude said:
I would never use time-limited software for a critical application. Why not use octave instead of matlab?
I don't know very well Octave. is it possible to simulate some telecom features like MU-MIMO or scheduling algorithms on this software ?

Thanks

Octave is a "clone" of Matlab. Unless you need a specific Matlab toolbox, it will do the same job.

I have a biased view on the matter, but I don't think Octave should be used for serious work or research unless you're experienced enough to find and fix bugs as you come across them.

MATLAB licenses are very cheap for students. If you want to use it for your PhD work then it is a no brainer to get MATLAB instead of using Octave.

Since you're a student you can get MATLAB for $49.
http://www.mathworks.com/pricing-licensing/index.html?intendeduse=student&prodcode=ML

1. What is Matlab Trial Version?

Matlab Trial Version is a free version of the Matlab software that allows users to access all the features of the full version for a limited period of time. It is typically used for testing and evaluation purposes before purchasing the full version.

2. How long is the trial period for Matlab Trial Version?

The trial period for Matlab Trial Version is typically 30 days, although this may vary depending on the specific version and any promotions that may be available. After the trial period ends, users will need to purchase the full version to continue using the software.

3. Can I use Matlab Trial Version for my PhD research?

Yes, you can use Matlab Trial Version for your PhD research. However, keep in mind that the trial version has limitations and may not have all the features and tools that you may need for your research. It is always recommended to consult with your advisor and consider purchasing the full version for a more comprehensive and reliable experience.

4. What is the difference between Matlab Trial Version and the full version?

The main difference between Matlab Trial Version and the full version is the trial period and access to all features. The full version allows unlimited access to all features, whereas the trial version has a limited time frame and may not have all the features available.

5. Can I renew my Matlab Trial Version after the trial period ends?

No, you cannot renew your Matlab Trial Version after the trial period ends. However, you can purchase a license for the full version to continue using the software. It is also worth noting that Matlab offers various licensing options, including academic discounts, to make the full version more accessible for students and researchers.