MatLab / Vector Field Physics

In summary, the conversation discussed a 3D vector field with 40 levels of wind vectors, and the goal is to create a particle that can move through this field by reacting to forces. The focus is currently on developing code to calculate the forces at a given point and determine the particle's next path of movement. The solution proposed is to use a 6-dimensional system of ODEs and solve for the particle's position and velocity, taking into account factors such as air resistance and gravity. MATLAB can be used to solve this numerically, but interpolation may be necessary to find the wind velocity at a given point.
PropulsionMan
So, this is going to be pretty hard for me to explain, or try to detail out since I only think I know what I'm asking, but I could be asking it with bad wording, so please bear with me and ask questions if need-be.

Currently I have a 3D vector field that's being plotted which corresponds to 40 levels of wind vectors in a 3D space (obviously). These are plotted in 3D levels and then stacked on top of each other using a dummy altitude for now (we're debating how to go about pressure altitude conversion most accurately--not to worry here). The goal is to start at a point within the vector space, modeling that point as a particle that can experience physics, and iteratively go through the vector field reacting to the forces, thus creating a trajectory of sorts through the vector field.

Currently what I'm trying to do is whip up code that would allow me to to start a point within this field and calculate the forces that the particle would feel at that point and then establish a resultant force vector that would indicate the next path of movement throughout the vector space.

Right now I'm stuck in the theoretical aspects of the code, as I'm trying to think through how the particle would feel vectors at a distance.

Any suggestions on ways to attack this problem within MatLab or relevant equations to use?

pqN7j.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I would solve a 6-dimensional system of ODEs for the position [itex]\vec x(t)[/itex] of the particle (which accounts for three of the dimensions) and its velocity [itex]\vec v(t)[/itex] (which accounts for the other three dimensions). By definition we have
[tex]
\frac{d \vec x}{dt} = \vec v
[/tex]
and the equation of motion is then
[tex]
m\frac{d \vec v}{dt} = -k(\vec x)\left\|\vec v - \vec u(\vec x)\right\|\left(\vec v - \vec u(\vec x)\right) + m \vec g
[/tex]
where [itex]m[/itex] is the particle's mass, [itex]k > 0[/itex] a coefficient which will depend on the size and shape of the particle and conceivably also on air pressure and thus altitude, [itex]\vec u[/itex] the wind velocity and [itex]\vec g = g(0,0,-1)[/itex] is the gravitational acceleration.

The idea is that air resistance should be proportional to the square of the velocity of the particle relative to the air, and in the direction opposite to the relative velocity.

MATLAB should be fully capable of solving this system numerically given the initial position and velocity of the particle. You may end up having to interpolate to find the wind velocity at [itex]\vec x[/itex] from your data.

Likes 1 person

1. What is MatLab?

MatLab is a programming language and software environment commonly used for data analysis, visualization, and mathematical computations. It stands for "Matrix Laboratory" and is widely used in various scientific and engineering fields.

2. What is Vector Field Physics?

Vector Field Physics is the study of vector fields, which are mathematical representations of physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves using mathematical models and techniques to analyze and understand the behavior of these fields in various physical systems.

3. How is MatLab used in Vector Field Physics?

MatLab is often used in Vector Field Physics to perform calculations, simulations, and visualizations of vector fields. It has built-in functions and tools that make it easier to manipulate and analyze vector data, making it a valuable tool for studying and understanding vector fields.

4. What are some common applications of MatLab / Vector Field Physics?

MatLab and Vector Field Physics have a wide range of applications, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, meteorology, and geophysics. They are also used in various engineering and scientific fields, such as aerospace, mechanical, and civil engineering, to model and analyze complex systems.

5. Is MatLab difficult to learn for Vector Field Physics applications?

While MatLab can be initially challenging to learn, it has a user-friendly interface and extensive documentation that makes it easier to use. It also has a large community of users who share tips and resources, making it easier to learn and work with for Vector Field Physics applications.