.Should I Upgrade to the Latest Version of Matlab?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter medwatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    matlab
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons for upgrading to newer versions of Matlab when already using Matlab 2001 or 7. The main reasons mentioned are performance optimizations and compatibility with codes written in newer syntax or using newer functions. However, if the current version is working well, there may not be a need to upgrade. The conversation also touches on the significant performance improvement in Matlab when it started using Just-in-time compiling in 2000, and the addition of useful features in newer versions.
medwatt
Hello,
I have just been wondering that given each year we get two new versions of Matlab, for someone like who uses/used Matlab 2001 (or Matlab 7) I am wondering if there's a great reason to move to the recent versions (Matlab 2014a) even when I use only a selected number of toolboxes.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I see two reasons for using newer versions. If none of them bothers you, then there is no need imo:
-performance optimizations
-compatibility with codes from other people who uses newer syntax or functions

Well I don't think I have compatibility issues. I don't know anything about performance improvements since the only versions I have used are 6.5 and 7.

Sounds like you're fine then. Just pray the newer versions of your OS doesn't start playing funny with your good ol' matlab. But then I guess you don't need to update those either :)

Well I guess I'm still good then !

The big "jump" in performace came when Matlab started using Just-in-time compiling which I believe was around 2000 or so; before that you had to avoid for-loops etc at all cost which made some programs very difficult to read.
That said, they have added a bunch of useful features since, but nothing too crucial.

1. Should I upgrade to the latest version of Matlab?

It depends on your needs and what features are included in the latest version. If you require specific features that are only available in the latest version, then it may be worth upgrading. However, if your current version meets your needs, there may not be a need to upgrade. It is also important to consider the cost of upgrading and if it fits within your budget.

2. Will my old code still work in the latest version?

In most cases, yes, your old code will still work in the latest version of Matlab. However, there may be some minor changes or updates to the syntax that may require you to make some adjustments to your code. It is always recommended to check the release notes or documentation for any changes that may affect your code.

3. How do I upgrade to the latest version of Matlab?

To upgrade to the latest version of Matlab, you will need to purchase a license for the new version and then follow the installation instructions provided by MathWorks. It is important to note that you may need to uninstall your current version before installing the new one.

4. Are there any benefits to upgrading to the latest version of Matlab?

Yes, there are several benefits to upgrading to the latest version of Matlab. These may include new features, improved performance, bug fixes, and compatibility with newer operating systems. It is also important to keep your software up-to-date for security reasons.

5. Can I still access older versions of Matlab after upgrading?

Yes, you can still access older versions of Matlab after upgrading. However, you will need to have a valid license for each version you want to use. It is also recommended to keep your old versions until you are certain that your code works correctly in the new version.