Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab Versions

Tags:
  1. Apr 9, 2014 #1
    Hello,
    I have just been wondering that given each year we get two new versions of Matlab, for someone like who uses/used Matlab 2001 (or Matlab 7) I am wondering if there's a great reason to move to the recent versions (Matlab 2014a) even when I use only a selected number of toolboxes.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2014 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

I see two reasons for using newer versions. If none of them bothers you, then there is no need imo:
    -performance optimizations
    -compatibility with codes from other people who uses newer syntax or functions

4. Apr 9, 2014 #3
    Well I don't think I have compatibility issues. I don't know anything about performance improvements since the only versions I have used are 6.5 and 7.

5. Apr 9, 2014 #4

wukunlin

Gold Member

Sounds like you're fine then. Just pray the newer versions of your OS doesn't start playing funny with your good ol' matlab. But then I guess you don't need to update those either :)

6. Apr 9, 2014 #5
    Well I guess I'm still good then !

7. Apr 11, 2014 #6

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The big "jump" in performace came when Matlab started using Just-in-time compiling which I believe was around 2000 or so; before that you had to avoid for-loops etc at all cost which made some programs very difficult to read.
    That said, they have added a bunch of useful features since, but nothing too crucial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook