1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MATLAB Water Delivery System with Newtons Method

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1.We are asked to:
    i - Plot Wdot(pump) vs Q where v varies from 1 m/s to 50 m/s in increments of 1 m/s
    ii - plot P vs Q
    iii - write a function that uses newtons method with a numerical derivative to calculate the friction factor -- function f = frict (e_over_d,Re)

equations are below

In this program you will write a program that determines the pressure a pump must provide and the horsepower required to run an ideal pump for a system that removes water from a reservoir and discharges the water to a second water reservoir at a higher elevation.
    water density ρ = 998 kg/m^3
    water viscosity μ = 1.003E-3
    roughness ratio e/D= 2E-4
    g = 9.81 m/s^2

2. pump exit pressure, P
    P = ρ[f*(L/D)*(v^2/2) + g*h]/b]

Colebrook equation for the friction factor f (based on Re=*v*D/μ)

1/√f = -2log(base10)[(ε/D*3.7)+(2.51/Re*√f)] which when solved for f (neglecting the f term on the right side of the equation) => f = 1.325/[ln(ε/3.7D + 5.74/Re^.9)]^2

horsepower for the pump

Wdot(pump) = mdot [P/ρ + v^2/2]

3. I created a for loop for the Reynolds number:
    clc
    clear all

rho=998;
    mu=1.003e-3;
    D=.5;
    v=1:1:49;
    Re=rho*v*D/mu;
    i=0;
    for i=1:length(v)
    i=i+1
    v=i;
    Re=rho*v*D/mu
    root(i)=funct(v(i))
    end

Now i need to figure out how to call this loop into another loop using the friction factor equation f..

Once i get that i need to plug that f value "loop"(from 1 to 50 m/s for velocity of course) into the Pressure function and then that P loop into the Wdot(pump) equation so I can plot it..

newtons method is applied here but I dont understand why because I am not taking derivative. The only thing i can think of is that since v changes by 1 m/s up to 50 m/s so its a rate of change. It will keep going up by adding small parts together with newtons method which is this code:
    function [ f ] = frict( e_over_d,Re )
    %use secant method to calculate the friction factor
    % Detailed explanation goes here
    e_over_d=2e-4;
    rho=998;
    mu=1.003e-3;
    vo=1;
    D=.5
    Re=rho*vo*D/mu;
    f =1.325/(ln((e_over_d/3.7)+(5.74/Re^.9))^2);
    eps=abs(f);
    iter=0;
    while eps>1.0e-12 && iter < 100

fprime=1.325/(ln((e_over_d/3.7)+(5.74/Re(vo)^.9))^2);
    iter=iter+1
    delx=1.0e-4*vo
    vright=vo+delx
    fright=1.325/(ln((e_over_d/3.7)+(5.74/Re(vright)^.9))^2)
    fprime=(fright - f)/delx
    v = vo-f/fprime
    f= 1.325/(ln((e_over_d/3.7)+(5.74/Re^.9))^2);
    eps=abs(f)
    v=vo

end

this code is all messed up but the format is newtons method.. I just cannot figure out how to use that Re loop i made with that function!!

help!

3. The attempt at a solution

-Ethan G

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?