Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab xcorr function

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    Hey All,

does anyone know what algorithm matlab uses to determine the autocorrelation function when you use the 'xcorr' function. the matlab help page refers to a textbook:

"Orfanidis, S.J., Optimum Signal Processing. An Introduction. 2nd Edition, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1996."

But I can't find a copy of this either online or at my library.

Cheers,
    Thrillhouse

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Frequently, the Mathworks support site offers more information than the basic usage information provided when you use the HELP <command> command. It looks like xcorr is a Signal-Processing Toolbox function, but that too is handled at the Mathworks Support Site (TIP: bookmark the MATLAB root support site--it helped me a lot when I was a MATLAB developer for a summer):
    http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/signal/xcorr.shtml [Broken]

In this case, it tells you how the elements of the auto/cross-correlated are calculated (though I'm not sure if there's a name for this 'algorithm').

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook