How Do You Correctly Set Up and Multiply Matrices for Business Sales Analysis?

• Thread starter noobshoob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, In part 1, the cost and quantity matrices are not correct. In part 2, the product of the cost and quantity matrices is not correct. In part 3, the income matrix is not correct.
noobshoob
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this thread, but I have come across a few problems which I do not know how to approach.

1. A shop sells TVs at $300, DVDs at $20 and Radios at $50. Put these into a row matrix.
Here is what I did:
Code:
Is this correct? Should it be [300, 20, 50] (horizontally, if it matters)?

2. On Monday they sell 5 TVs, 2 DVDs and 3 Radios.
On Tuesday they sell 7 TVs, 3 DVDs, and 2 Radios.
On Wednesday they sell 5 TVs, 6 DVDs and 4 Radios.
Set out the costs and the quantities into 2 matrices.
Here is what I did:
Code:
300      5  7  5
20       2  3  6
50       3  2  4

3. Calculate the product of the cost and quantity matrices to form the income matrix.
Should I multiply them? Use dot product?

Physics news on Phys.org
For part 1, no it is not correct. What you have written is a column matrix. Your other suggestion is correct.

Have you done matrix multiplication before? You cannot multiply a 3x1 matrix and a 3x3 matrix. However, you can multiply a 1x3 and a 3x3. That is why it matters whether your write a row or a column matrix.

I've multiplied 2 2x2 matrices before. So it is okay for me to multiply [300, 20, 50] with the 3x3 matrix?

How about questions 2 and 3? Is my 3x3 matrix correct or should the numbers be in a different order?

Well, if you are multiplying with "price matrix" on the left, then it must be a row matrix:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 300 & 20 & 50\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}5 & 7 & 5 \\ 2 & 3 & 6 \\ 3 & 2 & 4\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

If you choose, instead, to multiply with price on the right, then it would be a column matrix, but also with the transpose of the price matrix:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}5 & 2 & 3 \\ 7 & 3 & 2 \\ 5 & 6 & 4\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} 300 \\ 20 \\ 50\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Edit:
It occurs to me after writing this that how you set the matrix multiplication up depends on what, exactly, "income matrix" means. Is it income summed over different kinds of product per day or summed over the three different days per kind of product.

The total would be either of those "dot product" [1 1 1].

Last edited by a moderator:
Your first suggestion is what I'm going to go with I think as it seems to fit the question.
However, is my 3x3 matrix okay? Is the order of the values like this...
Code:
5  7  5
2  3  6
3  2  4

...okay, or should it be:

5  2  3
7  3  2
5  6  4

It doesn't specify whether it is the total income or just the income per day, but since the question prior to the last asks me to create a matrix to hold all the income of the 3 days then I guess it would be logical to calculate the total. You say that I must use the dot product on the two matrices? Why would this be?

What are matrices?

Matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. They are used to represent and solve systems of linear equations, transformations, and other mathematical operations.

What are the three parts of a matrix problem?

The three parts of a matrix problem are the given information (such as the coefficients of a system of equations), the unknown variables (such as the variables in the equations), and the solution (the values of the unknown variables that satisfy the given information).

How do you add or subtract matrices?

Matrices can be added or subtracted by adding or subtracting the corresponding elements in the same positions. The resulting matrix will have the same dimensions as the original matrices.

What is the identity matrix?

The identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal (from the upper left to the lower right) and 0s everywhere else. Multiplying any matrix by the identity matrix results in the same matrix.

How do you multiply matrices?

Matrices can be multiplied by multiplying the corresponding elements in each row of the first matrix by the corresponding elements in each column of the second matrix, and then summing the products. The resulting matrix will have the number of rows of the first matrix and the number of columns of the second matrix.