1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices and determinant

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    please look at the attachement and my attempt at the solution - hope you can help.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2
    I see no attachment.

4. Mar 26, 2012 #3
    sorry I amended the post and forgot to reattached my document - here it is please look at it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  5. Mar 26, 2012 #4
    After "This gives:", you need to check your math. I see [tex](1-\lambda)^2(-1-\lambda)-4(1-\lambda)-4(1-\lambda)[/tex]

To find eigenvectors, see if this resource helps: http://www.sosmath.com/matrix/eigen2/eigen2.html

Essentially, you will set up [tex]A \left(\begin{matrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{matrix}\right) = \lambda \left(\begin{matrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{matrix}\right)[/tex] where you substitute in each [itex]\lambda[/itex] found earlier. Then you'll have 3 equations and 3 unknowns for each [itex]\lambda[/itex].

6. Mar 26, 2012 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does it mean for there to be an eigenvalue of -1?
    If you write down the equation that the eigenvector satisfies, you should get three equations and three unknowns - note in general the solution for the eigenvector will be non-unique since you can scale it to get a new eigenvector, but you should be able to get a one-dimensional set of vectors that works

7. Mar 26, 2012 #6
    ok I had anotherlook at my simplification and I have spotted some error while finding eigen values using 3x3 matrix

what I get is :
    ( i am using y instaed of lambda as I am typing here so apologies)

(1-y){(1-y)(-1-y)-(-2x-2)} -2{(0x-2) -(-2)(1-y)}
    =(1-y){-1-y+y+y^2-4} -2 { 0-(-2)(1-y)}
    =(1-y){-1+y^2-4-4(1-y)}
    =(1-y)(y^2-9)
    =(1-y) (y-3) (y+3)
    hence giving eigen values of y=1, y=-3 and y=3

is this correct?

8. Mar 26, 2012 #7
    That looks correct.

9. Mar 26, 2012 #8
    thank you so much for all your help.

10. Mar 26, 2012 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I still do not see an attachment.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook