1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices and Linear spaces

Tags:
  1. Apr 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The vectors ##a_1, a_2, a_3, b_1, b_2, b_3## are given below
    $$\ a_1 = (3~ 2~ 1 ~0) ~~a_2 = (1~ 1~ 0~ 0) ~~ a_3 = (0~ 0~ 1~ 0)~~ b_1 = (3~ 2~ 0~ 2)~~ b_2 = (2 ~2~ 0~ 1)~~ b_3 = (1~ 1~ 0~ 1) $$
    The subspace of ## \mathbb R^4 ## spanned by ##a_1, a_2, a_3## is denoted by ##V_1## and the subspace of ## \mathbb R^4 ## spanned by ##b_1, b_2, b_3## is denoted by ##V_2##

The set of vectors which consists a zero vector and all vectors which belong to ##V_1## and ##V_2## is denoted by ##W##.

Write down two linearly independent vectors which belong to ##W##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can somebody please explain how to get the independent vectors? I am very aware of the definition of independent vectors. However, I cannot seem to relate the definition and use it to solve this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint: a1, a2, and a3 all have 0 as their 4'th coordinate, so they can not generate any vector with a nonzero 4'th coordinate.

4. Apr 9, 2017 #3
    And ##b_1, b_2, b_3## all have 0 as their 3rd coordinate, so they cannot generate any vector with a nonzero 3rd coordinate
    Thus the resulting vector should be ##(p~q~0~0)##
    Correct?

5. Apr 9, 2017 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to find two vectors. Look for one in V2 that could not be a linear combination of the ais and look for a vector in V1 that could not be a linear combination of the bis

6. Apr 9, 2017 #5
    a3 and b3?
    And the reasoning behind the special criteria for choosing the vector is this right? If I were to choose a vector in V1 which was a linear combination of V2 vectors, then I would technically be choosing just V2 vectors and not taking into account the V1 vectors.

7. Apr 9, 2017 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In homework, you would want to briefly explain why the two you pick are in W and are linearly independent. Use the definition of linearly independent.

8. Apr 9, 2017 #7
    Thank you very much for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted