Matrices and linear transformations.

In summary, this thread discusses the proposition that all matrices define linear transformations. It is argued that every m x n matrix A over a field k determines a linear transformation T:k^n--->k^m, and conversely, every linear transformation T:V--->W and bases of V and W can be associated with a matrix. It is also noted that matrices can be used in contexts independent of linear maps, but this does not change the fact that every matrix gives a linear map and vice versa. The concept of using colors as labels in the matrix equation is discussed, with the conclusion that while it may not have a physical interpretation, it is still a valid mathematical concept.
micromass said:
Well, please define matrix.

Is 1 a number, if 1 + 1 is not defined?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dickfore said:
Yes, it does.

I refer you again to my example then.

Dickfore said:
No, it's not similar. We have established that the left matrix can take values from the set [itex]\left\lbrace 0, 1 \right\rbrace[/itex]. In your example 0.1 does not belong to the set. So, his "restrictions" contradict the definition of a matrix. Therefore, it is not a matrix.

So a (0,1)-matrix is not a matrix? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(0,1)-matrix

Since we have managed to stray in the field of arbitrariness of definitions, and are not willing to accept the other party's arguments, I decided to back away from this thread.

Dickfore said:
Is 1 a number, if 1 + 1 is not defined?

No, not necessarily.
For instance, in abstract algebra {1,2} is a group with multiplication modulo 3.
In particular 1+1 is not defined.

Dickfore said:
Since we have managed to stray in the field of arbitrariness of definitions, and are not willing to accept the other party's arguments, I decided to back away from this thread.

I accepted your arguments, but you didn't even acknowledge mine once.

Dickfore said:

Well, the problem seems to be that you never provided a definition of a matrix...

Dickfore said:

Definitions in math are not arbitrary.
To the contrary, they are very sharply defined.
To understand what those definitions are exactly, is now what this whole thread is about.

But I can certainly understand that you had enough of it. ;)

Dickfore, I'd bet you are not really agreeing with "the proposition that all matrices define linear transformations" that the OP was trying to prove wrong, regardless of how fortunate his example was.

Well I certainly have made folks think.

:biggrin:

However, I don't see much mathematical uses for it.

The first matrix is extendible. I have only shown one row but you could have many rows. In my example this would correspond to many trials of ball withdrawal. However less trivial results might be a connectivity diagram for an electrical network or structural framework.

I like Serena said:
Definitions in math are not arbitrary.
To the contrary, they are very sharply defined.

I don't think I agree. For example, the notion of "number" does not seem to have a good definition in mathematics. Should complex numbers be numbers? p-adic numbers? transfinite numbers? I don't know any standard definition of number.

Studiot said:
The first matrix is extendible. I have only shown one row but you could have many rows. In my example this would correspond to many trials of ball withdrawal. However less trivial results might be a connectivity diagram for an electrical network or structural framework.

Yes, boolean matrices (which are similar) are already used in electical networks. But there you specifically use the structure of boolean algebras.

Studiot said:
Well I certainly have made folks think.

:biggrin:

Thanks, it's been fun, and we might have set up some record for brief and fast posting not counting the non-science subforums (almost 60 posts in a little over 2 hours).