Matrices are not my strong suit Please help

• Thread starter TonyC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, solving a system of equations using an inverse matrix involves writing the equations as a single matrix equation and finding the inverse of the matrix. This can be done by using various methods such as the Cramer method, Gaussian elimination, or row operations. The inverse matrix can then be used to solve the system of equations.
TonyC
How would I go about solving a systme of equations using an inverse matrix?

i.e. -10x - 6y = 6
7x + y = -7

Physics news on Phys.org
As I`m sure this is stated in your book (it should be), this system of equations is equivalent to the single matrix equation:

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc} -10 & -6 \\ 7 & 1\end{array}\right)\left( \begin{array}{c} x \\ y \end{array}\right)=\left( \begin{array}{c} 6 \\ -7 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

In general, you can write a linear system of n equations in n unknowns as a matrix equation Ax=b. If you can find the inverse of A (let's call it C, so that CA=AC=I) you have solved the problem, just put x=Cb, then A(Cb)=(AC)b=b.

Your question was "How would I go about solving a systme of equations using an inverse matrix?" Are you saying you don't have any problem with actually finding the inverse matrix?

Not exactly sure what I am saying. I am not having trouble with any other methods,
i.e. Cramer Method, Gaussian, elementary row operations. This one has me truly stumped. Maybe I'm too tied (or old) to grasp it today.

Still trying to figure this out

So can you find the inverse of A?
If:
[tex]A:= \left[ \begin{array}{cc} a & b \\ c & d \end{array} \right][/tex]
Then:
[tex]A ^ {-1}= \frac{1}{ad - bc} \left[ \begin{array}{cc} d & -b \\ -c & a \end{array} \right][/tex]
After finding the inverse of A, note that:
[tex]Ax = b \Leftrightarrow A ^ {-1}Ax = A ^ {-1}b \Leftrightarrow x = A ^ {-1}b[/tex]
Viet Dao,

Although the above method will work (for finding the inverse), you might want to try it a different way. It will help when you get to larger matrices (at least until you learn the generalized form of the above equation).

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc|cc}a & b & 1 & 0 \\ c & d & 0 & 1\end{array}\right][/tex]

Use row operations to make the left side (your original matrix) the identity matrix, and what is left on the right will be the inverse. You are basically saying [itex]A\mathbf{x}=I\implies\mathbf{x}=A^{-1}[/itex].

SHOW YOUR WORK first.

I posted the work I have been doing with Matrices previously, thanks for your concern

1. Why are matrices important in science?

Matrices are important in science because they provide a way to organize and manipulate data in a systematic and efficient manner. They are used in many fields such as physics, biology, and computer science to model and solve complex systems and equations.

2. What is the purpose of a matrix?

The purpose of a matrix is to represent and solve systems of linear equations. It can also be used to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion on data sets.

3. How can I improve my understanding of matrices?

One way to improve your understanding of matrices is to practice solving problems and working with them. You can also seek out online tutorials, textbooks, and other resources to gain a better understanding of the concepts and applications of matrices.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with matrices?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with matrices include forgetting to perform the correct operations, not paying attention to the dimensions of the matrices, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and carefully follow the steps when working with matrices.

5. How can I apply matrices in real-life situations?

Matrices can be applied in many real-life situations such as data analysis, image processing, and optimization problems. They can also be used in economics to model supply and demand, in genetics to study inheritance patterns, and in engineering to design and analyze systems. Understanding matrices can open up many opportunities for problem-solving and critical thinking in various fields.