Finding the Determinant of A: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter p.mather
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Determinant
In summary, the conversation was about finding the determinant of a matrix A, which was defined as A = [1 2; 2 3]. The person also mentioned using the cofactor matrix, CF.A, and the adjugate matrix, Adj A, to find the determinant. They also expressed uncertainty about the specific method and procedure for finding determinants.
p.mather

Homework Statement

A= 1 2 CF.A= 3 -2 ADJ.A= 3 -2
2 3 -2 1 -2 1

Next i need to find determinant of A so then i can do ADJ.A / determinant.A

Homework Equations

How do i work out the determinant, is there a specific way and procedure as i am unsure.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You are saying, I believe, that
[tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 \\ 2 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]CF.A= 3 & -2 \\ -2 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
(which is [itex]-A^{-1}[/itex])
and
[tex]Adj A= \begin{bmatrix}3 & -2 \\ -2 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

In any case, if you are attempting to find a determinant, I am surprised that you do not know that
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right|= ad- bc[/tex].

1. What is the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is a value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is used to determine certain properties of the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

2. How do I find the determinant of a matrix?

To find the determinant of a matrix, you can use a step-by-step guide. This involves using a specific formula or method, which varies depending on the size and complexity of the matrix.

3. Why is finding the determinant of a matrix important?

Finding the determinant of a matrix is important because it can help to determine if the matrix is invertible, which is necessary for solving systems of linear equations. It can also be used to calculate the area or volume of shapes in geometry.

4. What are the steps involved in finding the determinant of a matrix?

The steps for finding the determinant of a matrix include: identifying the size and complexity of the matrix, using the appropriate formula or method, performing any necessary calculations, and arriving at the final determinant value.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the determinant of a matrix?

There are various shortcuts and tricks that can be used to find the determinant of a matrix, such as using the properties of determinants, using row operations to simplify the matrix, or using a calculator or software program. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and methods in order to ensure accuracy.