1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices, I can't seem to cancel out any more elements

1. Sep 13, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, every row operation I make now is taking out the 0's i just made, any ideas on what I can do from here?
    Here is my work:
    Click

Also I was confused on how this works, my professor did an example:
    3x+2y+z = 8;
    x = a
    y = b
    z = 8 - 3a - 2b
    I get this part but then he does the following:

Here

Where is he getting those values? The first one looks like he let a = 0 and b = 0, then ur left with just 8, but i'm not sure.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2005 #2
    You have 3 equations and 5 unknowns, so you will have 2 free variables. You can't reduce it any more than that.

4. Sep 13, 2005 #3
    hm...What do i do from there then? How can you solve the system?

5. Sep 13, 2005 #4
    He's just writing it as a sum of vectors multiplied by some coefficient. For example,

3+x 3 1 0
    x^2 = 0 *1 + 0 *x + 1 *x^2
    X^2-4x+7 7 -4 1

or if you write it out as 3 separate equations, which it actually is,

3 + x = 3*1 + 1*x + 0*x^2
    x^2 = 0*1 + 0*x + 1*x^2
    x^2-4x+7 = 7*1 + -4*x + 1*x^2

6. Sep 13, 2005 #5
    Why does it look like all he is doing is letting a and b equal 0 in the first one, which will make 0 0 8 then he's letting a = 1, and b = 0, and finding the values then, letting a = 0 and b = 1, and then finding the values?

7. Sep 13, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because that is what he is doing! There are 3 equations in 5 unknowns. You can solve for 3 of the unknowns (x,y,z) in terms of the other 2 but those 2 (a and b) can be anything. To write a general formula your teacher is saying, "First,suppose a= 1, b= 0. The x,y,z= something written as a vector v1. Now, suppose a= 0, b=1. Okay, then x,y,z= something else written as a vector v2. " The general formula is then av1+ bv2. That's a linear combination that obviously gives the correct answer when a=1, b=0 and when a=0, b=1 and that's enough to show it is the general solution to this linear problem.

(Oh, the bit about letting a= 0, b= 0 is because this is not a "homogeneous" problem.)

8. Sep 13, 2005 #7
    Well if that is infact whats going on, then how is this possible?>
    3x+2y+z = 8;
    x = a
    y = b
    z = 8 - 3a - 2b

Okay he let a = 0, b = 0, so z = 8
    a = 1, b = 0, he has z = -3
    z = 8 -3(1) - 2(0) = 5?
    then he has
    a = 0; b = 1; z = -2
    z = 8 -3(0) -2(1) = 6?
    but he has -2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?