Matrices/Linear Algebra Proof

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A be an n x n matrix. Show that if A2=0 then I - A is non-singular and (I - A)-1= I + A

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I started off with finding the general form of a 2x2 matrix which when squared gives a zero matrix, and all the properties above are satisfied. But how do I show that for an n x n matrix? Please help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Dick

Dick 25,893
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is (I-A)*(I+A)?

4. The Identity matrix.

5. Dick

Dick 25,893
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hence? What do you conclude from that?

6. But I only know that because the question says to show it and the "experiment" I did with my 2x2 matrix shows that. I cannot prove it. Please give a more thorough explanation :)

7. Dick

Dick 25,893
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If A*B=I then A=B^(-1). Isn't that the definition of inverse?

8. Yes, obviously. I do not know how that is connected to the question though. It asks us to show that the inverse of I-A is I+A which at this point is not self-evident (or at least I think so).

9. Dick

Dick 25,893
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now you are just plain confusing me. If (I-A)*(I+A)=I then as I read the definition of 'inverse' that means (I-A)^(-1)=(I+A). If you mean showing its the inverse by using the explicit calculation you probably used for 2x2 matrices, then you can't do that. You don't know what A is. It's still true though.

10. How? This is my question.

11. Dick

Dick 25,893
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Multiply it out. (I+A)*(I-A)=? Use the distributive property! I thought you did that in post 3. I may have been wrong.

12. Can you do that with matrices? I have read the property that (A+B)C=AC+BC but only to that extent.

13. Dick

Dick 25,893
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure you can. (I+A)(I-A)=I(I-A)+A(I-A). Now distribute again.

14. Yes, suppose C = D+E, hence AC+BC=(A+B)(D+E).

15. Of course. That was kind of a stupid question. Thanks for clearing it up.

The question first asks us to show that I-A is non-singular. How do we show that? Or does that follow from (I-A)(I+A)=I and since I has an inverse, it must be non-singular?

16. When two matrices are multiplied together to produce the identity, it means the two matrices are inverses of each other. What is the definition of a non-singular matrix?

17. Dick

Dick 25,893
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You KNOW I has an inverse. It's I! It's doesn't follow from that. Please quote me the definition of what an inverse is?

18. A matrix multiplied by the original matrix to give Identity.

19. Dick

Dick 25,893
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so (I+A)(I-A)=I. What's the inverse of (I-A)?

20. I get that. That is what I'm asking. Is the proof of (I-A)'s non-singularity the fact that I+A is its inverse?

21. Dick

Dick 25,893
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, yes, yes. If a matrix has an inverse, it's nonsingular. Now I'm going to have to ask to you look up the definition of 'nonsingular'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?