Solve Linear Combination: Matrices Problem x1...x6 = [4,0,2]

• Thread starter Derill03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses finding three columns that span R3 and expressing the right side as a linear combination of those columns. A linear combination is a combination of the columns with coefficients that result in the right side. In this case, the coefficients are a=0, b=6, and c=4.
Derill03
x1[0,0,0] + x2[1,1,0] + x3[0,1,0] + x4[-1,-1,0] + x5[0,0,1] + x6[1,0,-1] = [4,0,2]

** left to right is top to bottom **

I am first asked to find 3 columns that span R3, I found that [-1,-1,0],[0,0,1],[1,0,-1] span r3 because they have a non-zero determinant. Now the next question is where i have trouble

I am asked to express the right side as a linear combination of the three columns i chose?

How can i write the three columns as a linear combination? I haven't been able to find any really good explanation of a linear combination, can ne one help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It just means, find three numbers a, b, c such that
a [-1, -1, 0] + b [0, 0, 1] + c [1, 0, -1] = [4, 0, 2]

The left hand side is called a linear combination of [-1, -1, 0], [0, 0, 1] and [1, 0, -1].

ok then if I've done this correctly it should be:

0*[-1,-1,0] + 6*[0,0,1] + 4*[1,0,-1] = [4,0,2]

a=0
b=6
c=4

1. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying each element in a set of numbers by a corresponding constant, and then adding all of the products together.

2. How do you solve a linear combination with matrices?

To solve a linear combination with matrices, you will need to use the matrix multiplication method. First, you will need to set up the matrices with the given values. Then, multiply the matrices together and add the resulting products to get the final answer.

3. What are the variables x1...x6 in this problem?

The variables x1...x6 represent the coefficients in the linear combination. In this problem, they are being multiplied by a set of numbers in a matrix to create the linear combination.

4. What is the purpose of solving a linear combination with matrices?

The purpose of solving a linear combination with matrices is to find a solution that satisfies a given set of equations or constraints. This method is often used in mathematical modeling and optimization problems.

5. Can a linear combination have more than two matrices?

Yes, a linear combination can involve any number of matrices, as long as they are all compatible for multiplication. The number of matrices used will depend on the specific problem being solved.