Proving Properties of 2x2 Matrices

In summary, In part 1, A is a matrix of order 2x2 whose main diagonal's entries' sum is zero. In part 2, given: A^2 is a scalar matrix and the sum of the entries of the main diagonal of AB-BA is zero. In part 3, given: C is a matrix of order 2x2. Prove that the sum of the entries of the main diagonal of AB-BA is equal to C (AB-BA).
TheScienceAlliance
1. A is a matrix of order 2x2 whose main diagonal's entries' sum is zero. Prove that A^2 is a scalar matrix.

2. Given: A and B are two matrices of order 2x2. Prove that the sum of the entries of the main diagonal of AB-BA is zero.

3. A, B and C are three matrices of order 2x2. Given: A^2 is a scalar matrix and the sum of the entries of the main diagonal of AB-BA is zero. Prove that C (AB-BA) ^2= (AB-BA) ^2*C?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to MHB! What have you tried for each of these? Which one would you like to start with?

MathHelpBoardsUser said:
1. A is a matrix of order 2x2 whose main diagonal's entries' sum is zero. Prove that A^2 is a scalar matrix.
A is of the form $\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & -a\end{bmatrix}$ What do you get when you square that?
2. Given: A and B are two matrices of order 2x2. Prove that the sum of the entries of the main diagonal of AB-BA is zero.
Let $A= \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}$ and let $B= \begin{bmatrix}p & q \\ r & s\end{bmatrix}$. What is AB- BA?

3. A, B and C are three matrices of order 2x2. Given: A^2 is a scalar matrix and the sum of the entries of the main diagonal of AB-BA is zero. Prove that C (AB-BA) ^2= (AB-BA) ^2*C?
If $A= \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}$ then $A^2= \begin{bmatrix}a^2+ bc & ab+ bd \\ ac+ cd & bc+ d^2\end{bmatrix}$. Since $A^2$ is a "scalar matrix" $A^2= \begin{bmatrix}P & 0 \\ 0 & P^2\end{bmatrix}$ so $a^2+ bc= bc+ d^2= P$, $ab+ bd= ac+ cd= 0$.

Last edited by a moderator:
County Boy said:
A is of the form $\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & -a\end{bmatrix}$ What do you get when you square that?
Let $A= \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}$ and let $B= \begin{bmatrix}p & q \\ r & s\end{bmatrix}$. What is AB- BA?If $A= \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}$ then $A^2= \begin{bmatrix}a^2+ bc & ab+ bd \\ ac+ cd & bc+ d^2\end{bmatrix}$. Since $A^2$ is a "scalar matrix" $A^2= \begin{bmatrix}P & 0 \\ 0 & P^2\end{bmatrix}$ so $a^2+ bc= bc+ d^2= P$, $ab+ bd= ac+ cd= 0$.

Thank you very much for the response, sir.
In regard to #2 -- I calculated AB-BA.
However, I did not see how the sum of the two entries in the diagonal equal zero.

I obtained the following entries:

a11= rb-cp
a22=qc-dp

How should I proceed?

MathHelpBoardsUser said:
Thank you very much for the response, sir.
In regard to #2 -- I calculated AB-BA.
However, I did not see how the sum of the two entries in the diagonal equal zero.

I obtained the following entries:

a11= rb-cp
a22=qc-dp

How should I proceed?
You need to look at that again.
I get \(\displaystyle (AB - BA)_{11} = (ap + br) - (ap + cq) = br - cq\) and \(\displaystyle (AB - BA)_{22} = (cq + ds) - (br + ds) = cq - br\)

-Dan

topsquark said:
You need to look at that again.
I get \(\displaystyle (AB - BA)_{11} = (ap + br) - (ap + cq) = br - cq\) and \(\displaystyle (AB - BA)_{22} = (cq + ds) - (br + ds) = cq - br\)

-Dan
I obtained the same result.
Thank you very much :)

Also, my bad. The "given" part in the 3rd question is not given.
The question is written as follows:

A, B and C are three matrices of order 2x2. Prove that C (AB-BA) ^2= (AB-BA) ^2*C.
You can use the results obtained in parts 1 and 2 in order to solve part 3.
Does this mean that A and B in part 3 are the same matrices used in parts 1 and 2 (as in, matrix's A diagonal's entries' sum is zero)?

1. What is the definition of a 2x2 matrix?

A 2x2 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in two rows and two columns. It is represented in the form of [a b; c d].

2. How do you prove that two 2x2 matrices are equal?

To prove that two 2x2 matrices are equal, you need to show that their corresponding elements in each row and column are equal. This means that the elements in the first row of one matrix must be equal to the elements in the first row of the other matrix, and the same for the second row. If all elements are equal, then the two matrices are equal.

3. What is the identity matrix for a 2x2 matrix?

The identity matrix for a 2x2 matrix is a special type of matrix that, when multiplied with any other 2x2 matrix, results in the original matrix. It is represented as [1 0; 0 1].

4. How do you prove that a 2x2 matrix is invertible?

A 2x2 matrix is invertible if its determinant (ad-bc) is not equal to zero. To prove this, you can use the determinant formula and show that it is not equal to zero. Additionally, you can also multiply the matrix with its inverse and show that the result is the identity matrix.

5. What are some common properties of 2x2 matrices?

Some common properties of 2x2 matrices include commutativity (the order of multiplication does not matter), associativity (the way matrices are grouped in multiplication does not matter), and distributivity (distributing multiplication over addition). Additionally, 2x2 matrices also have a unique inverse (if it exists) and can be used to represent linear transformations.