1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices question

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    I have been given the following matrix and i am told there is a quick trick to getting the determinant:

0 1 2 3 4
    0 0 2 3 4
    0 0 0 3 4
    0 0 0 0 4
    5 4 3 2 1

I used my calculator and found out the answer is 120 which is 5!, but i am not sure what rule or reason the answer is 5!

Can ne one help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2
    Hint: Use a co-factor expansion down the first column and use the knowledge that the determinant of an upper-triangular matrix is the product of the entries on its diagonal.

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3
    I am not familiar with this can you help a little more?

My teacher never covered this principle of co-factor expansion

5. Apr 11, 2009 #4
    This is what i did can u confirm:

5*( 1 2 3 4) inside parenthesis is the 4x4 matrix
    ( 0 2 3 4)
    ( 0 0 3 4)
    ( 0 0 0 4)

which is 5*4*3*2*1 = 120

6. Apr 12, 2009 #5
    Let i be some row and let j be some column of a matrix A. To find the determinant of A, you can use a co-factor expansion across a row, and you would use the following formula for a fixed i and varying j. Or, you can use co-factor expansion down a column, where you fix a j and sum over all i's.

det(A) = [tex]\sum[/tex]Cij = [tex]\sum[/tex](-1)[tex]^{i+j}[/tex]*(i,j)*det(Aij), where Aij denotes the matrix formed by removing the ith row and jth column from A; and, (i,j) denotes the entry in the ith row and jth column.

So, in this case, you would fix j at 1 and sum from i = 1 to i = 5.

det(A) = 0+0+0+0+5*det(A5,1) = 5*(1*2*3*4) = 120.

Is this clear?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook