1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices Questions

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    Is any symmetric matrix diagonalisable with an orthogonal change of basis?

Does the minimal polynomial of any real matrix split into distinct linear factors?

Is a real inner product an example of a bilinear form?

Could 2 complex matrices which are similar have different Jordan normal forms?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So, what did you try already??

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    I just want to know 'yes' or 'no' out of interest

5. Sep 26, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

For the first one, let A be symmetric. Let u be an eigenvector with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex] and let w be an eigenvector with eigenvalue [itex]\mu[/itex]. Can you calculate

[tex]<Au,w>[/tex]

in several ways?

6. Sep 26, 2011 #5
    I think YES, NO, YES, NO respectively. Is that correct?

7. Sep 26, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why do you think that?

8. Sep 26, 2011 #7
    I think the 4th question is worded slightly ambiguously; it's probably safe to assume that it means "different up to reordering of the Jordan blocks" (in which case you're correct). But if it doesn't, then [tex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex] and [tex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex] would be an example of similar matrices with different JNFs.

I know the first 3 are right - yes, no, yes but for the 4th one, do you think that the answer to the last one is no?

9. Sep 26, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you mean "different up to reordering of the Jordan blocks" then you are correct. Similar matrices have the same Jordan canonical form then.

This can be seen by putting [itex]A=S^{-1}BS[/itex]. If C is the Jordan basis, then

[tex]CAC^{-1}[/tex]

is the Jordan canonical form of A. Now, can you find easily the Jordan canonical form of B (just plug the expressions into each other).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook