1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices trouble, making a,b,c no sol, a unique, and infin solutions

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone. I'm having troubles understanding if i'm doing this right.
    I have the matrix
    [tex]\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c} 2 & {-3} & {-3} & a \\ {-1} & 1 & 2 & b \\ 1 & {-3} & 0 & c \\ \end{array} } \right)[/tex]

I row reduced it to:
    [tex]\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c} 2 & {-3} & {-3} & a \\ 0 & {-1} & 1 & 2b+a \\ 0 & {0} & 0 & {-3b-2a+c} \\ \end{array} } \right)[/tex]

I'm suppose to find, In each case find if possible conditions on the numbers a, b, and c that the given syhstem has no solution, a unique solution, or infintnety many s9lutions. So would i let b = 0, a = 0 and c equal 0 to make it have an infinit many solutions. and then let a, b and c be any number so the expression: -3b-2a+c wil not equal 0, so 0 = 4, no solution. How would i find a unique solution? if the last row is already 0 = -3b-2a+c? thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2

TD

Homework Helper

In order to have at least one solution, the last row cannot by all 0 and a non-zero final element. So in order to have solutions, you have to let [itex]-3b-2a+c = 0[/itex].

Can you take it from here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?