GEBRA: Representation and Operations of Matrices - FAQs

• Thread starter rollcast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary: It is not a common notation and can be confusing to students. However, multiplying the determinant into the matrix is clearer.
rollcast
I'm just revising my maths notes on matrices and I have a couple of questions, mainly about representation of matrices.

1. I have drawn the matrices in my notes with square brackets, curved brackets or straight lines and curved ends. I always just copied what the slide show or board notes had up at the time.

Is it preferable to draw matrices with one type of bracket around them compared to another?

2. When calculating the determinant of the matrix I have used delta, Δ, to represent the det. of the matrix but I can't find reference to the use of delta anywhere else?

3. When writing the inverse of a matrix I haven't divided the entities of the matrix by the determinant. I have just writing it as 1 / det. and put this in front of the matrix?

Is this correct or should I get rid of the 1/det. by multiplying it into the matrix?

Thanks
AL

Physics news on Phys.org
rollcast said:
I'm just revising my maths notes on matrices and I have a couple of questions, mainly about representation of matrices.

1. I have drawn the matrices in my notes with square brackets, curved brackets or straight lines and curved ends. I always just copied what the slide show or board notes had up at the time.

Is it preferable to draw matrices with one type of bracket around them compared to another?

This doesn't matter that much. All are used. However, I advize you not to use straight lines as this might be used for the determinant.

2. When calculating the determinant of the matrix I have used delta, Δ, to represent the det. of the matrix but I can't find reference to the use of delta anywhere else?

This is indeed not a common notation. Commonly, the notation det(A) is used. Using delta isn't wrong, but you must state clearly that it signifies the determinant.

3. When writing the inverse of a matrix I haven't divided the entities of the matrix by the determinant. I have just writing it as 1 / det. and put this in front of the matrix?

Is this correct or should I get rid of the 1/det. by multiplying it into the matrix?

Both are ok. However, multiplying it into the matrix is cleaner.

Thanks Micro, I looked back and the straight line ones where determinant.

The use of delta must be set by the exam board as its used on their mark scheme solutions for matrix questions.

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols that are arranged in rows and columns. It is often used to represent and solve systems of equations, perform transformations, and store data.

2. How are matrices represented?

Matrices are typically represented using brackets or parentheses to enclose the elements, with commas or spaces to separate the elements within each row and a new line or semicolon to separate the rows.

3. What are the basic operations that can be performed on matrices?

The basic operations that can be performed on matrices include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Other operations, such as finding the determinant or inverse of a matrix, can also be performed.

4. What is the difference between a square matrix and a non-square matrix?

A square matrix has an equal number of rows and columns, while a non-square matrix has a different number of rows and columns. Square matrices can be inverted, while non-square matrices cannot.

5. What are some real-world applications of matrices?

Matrices have many real-world applications, including in computer graphics, data analysis, electrical engineering, and physics. They are also commonly used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.