1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix algebra proof

1. Mar 9, 2015 #1
    This problem is so simple that I'm not exactly sure what they want you to do:

Let A and B be n x n matrices such that AB = BA. Show that (A + B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2. Conclude that (I + A)^2 = I + 2A + A^2.

We don't need to list properties or anything, just manipulate. This all seems self-evident from the distributive property, and showing that I^2 = I.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If AB = BA
    and (A+B)^2 = (A+B)(A+B)
    then the rest more or less falls into place.

4. Mar 9, 2015 #3
    So AB = BA
    (A+B)(A+B) = A^2 + 2AB + B^2
    AI=IA=A
    II = I
    (I+A)(I+A) = I^2 + 2AI + A^2 = I + 2A + A^2

Would this probably be what they're looking for? Not sure how much more in detail I can go

5. Mar 10, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think you need some more detail here. Is it important that AB = BA in your proof?
    I think you need some more detail here as well, particularly in how you expand (I + A)(I + A).

6. Mar 10, 2015 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First of all, great name. Then, like Mark said, just expand the product term-by-term, without grouping.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook