1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix algebra question

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. Show that if a square matrix A satisfies A2 - 3A + I = 0, then A-1 = 3I - A

2. A-1A = I and A-1A = I and more that I can't think of

3. 3A = A2 + I

A = (A2 + I)/3

???

This question is weird :eek:
    Anyone know how to do it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2
    I'm so stupid I got the template wrong. I think I figured it out:

Show that if a square matrix A satisfies A2 - 3A + I = 0, then A-1 = 3I - A

A2 - 3A + I = 0
    A2 - 3A = -I
    A(A - 3I) = -I
    A - 3I = -I/A

I/A = A-1, therefore:

A-1 = 3I - A

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

i would take out the divide step, its not really defined for matricies, there is only multiplication by the inverse

so before that step, just muliply through by -1 and you're finished

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
    Oh you're right! Matrix multiplication doesn't actually exist >.>

Thanks for the input!

6. Oct 22, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Matrix multiplication actually DOES exist. It's matrix division that doesn't exist.

7. Oct 22, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I buy it up to the step where you have A(A - 3I) = -I. After that, I'm not buying. First off, and as already noted, there is no matrix division, so -I/A doesn't make sense.

Second, you say that I/A = A-1. What makes you think that A has an inverse? All you are given is that A is a square matrix. There is nothing said about A being invertible (i.e., having an inverse).

So how can you justify your last statement, that A-1 = 3I - A?

Hint: A(A - 3I) = -I, or equivalently, A(3I - A) = I.

8. Oct 22, 2009 #7
    Isn't it said that a matrix is invertible if the product is an identity matrix, whereas (3I - A) is the inverse of A, so you know it's invertible. Thus instead of dividing, you multiply both sides by the inverse of A which would make 3I - A = A-1

Or wait is it AB = BA = I, so it has to commute? I'm not too sure how to prove that A is invertible in this case, if this isn't right. :(

9. Oct 22, 2009 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What are A(3I- A) and (3I- A)A ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook