Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix analog of del operator?

1. Dec 28, 2011 #1
    The del operator is often informally written as (d/dx, d/dy, d/dz) or [itex]\hat{x}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{y}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{dy}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{z}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{dz}[/itex], a pseudo-vector consisting of differentiation operators. Could there be a pseudo-matrix operator like it? What would one be differentiating with respect to- that is, the physical or geometric interpretation (i.e., the x, y, z above are the coordinates in three-space). Would the operator be of any use?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2
    I am not sure how much use it would be, but you could always just put it into a column vector:

D = {d/dx, d/dy,d/dz}
    (Where {} denote column vector despite being written left to right)

Then to apply to a function, you would write Df(x,y,z). The function is a scalar, so it just gets multiplied through by everyone. The result is {df/dx, df/dy, df/dz}

Remember though, with operators, that fD is not generally Df.

Also, to be totally accurate, if you treat f as a 1x1 "matrix", then in order to make it commute properly with D in the case of fD, you would do fD^T, which is a row vector (while Df is a column vector). The result is [fd/dx,fd/dy,fd/dz]

Bear in mind, this can get tricky if you are using a non-Cartesian coordinate system, because if you apply this differentation to an object with basis vector components, you will need to differentiate the basis vectors too - in Cartesian coordinates, it doesn't matter, but in cylindrical, spherical, toroidal, etc., it will matter.
    I hope that answers your query!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook