Matrix Multiplication and Linear Transformations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of matrix transformations and the use of partitioning in understanding the operation of a matrix on a vector. The example provided involves a rotation matrix and how it maps points in a plane. The partitioning allows for a clearer understanding of the transformation's action on the vector.
madcap_

Homework Statement

PV4j1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost on this one.

I think the question is saying matrix A is a representation of a linear transformation, with the a11 and a21 transforming to a31, and so on for the other two columns. But I don't see how you can get that result with a12 being negative. This is all I could come up with after days of looking at this problem, and I'm just going around in circles :frown:

As for the product C=BA well that's pretty straightforward.

If someone can point me in the right direction it will be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
so consider A as something like
[tex] A = \begin{pmatrix} M & \textbf{0} \\ \textbf{0} & 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

with
[tex] M = \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and consider the product
[tex] M = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

now relate that back to the original matrix A and its operation on and arbitrary x1,x2 and x3

So when you say the product..

[tex] M = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Is x1 and x2 equal to m11 and m12?

Which multiplied by the matrix M = [itex]\left[\stackrel{1}{0}\right][/itex]
Edit:- I'm still not getting it. Matrices aren't making a lot of sense to me right now :(

Last edited:
I think lanedance spoke wrong in the last part of his response. I am sure he meant to say
[tex]A\begin{pmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2\\ x_3\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}M & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}y_1\\ y_2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

where
[tex]y_1= \begin{pmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
and [itex]y_2= x_3[/itex].

Of course, M is now a rotation matrix.

yeah thanks Halls, i didn't mean to have that last equals sign

Ok.. So for A * (x1,x1,x3), x1,x2 are mapped to new points, and x3 remains at the same point. Or with A partitioned to the 2x2 matrix M, and M * (x1,x2) + (0,0,x3) * A, you get exactly the same result right..

Is the partitioning completely arbitrary? I think that's what has been confusing me this whole time

T(x1,x2,x3)=A(x1,x2),x3

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

The only reason to look at the partitioning is that x3 is unchanged by the operation in this problem.

So to understand the action of the operator we only need to consider its action on x1 and x2, which is a rotation in that plane, hence why we consider the partitioned matrix.

Ah.. I think it finally makes sense to me now. Thank you!

no worries ;)

1. What is a matrix transformation?

A matrix transformation is a mathematical operation that maps one set of coordinates to another set of coordinates using a matrix. This transformation can involve translation, rotation, scaling, and shearing.

2. How is a matrix used to represent a transformation?

A matrix is used to represent a transformation by organizing the transformation's information into a grid of numbers. Each column of the matrix represents the coordinates of the transformed points, while each row represents the coordinates of the original points. The numbers in the matrix determine how the transformation affects the points.

3. What is the difference between a 2D and 3D matrix transformation?

A 2D matrix transformation operates in two-dimensional space and uses a 3x3 matrix, while a 3D matrix transformation operates in three-dimensional space and uses a 4x4 matrix. The additional row and column in the 3D matrix account for the z-coordinate in 3D space.

4. How is a matrix transformation applied to an object?

A matrix transformation is applied to an object by multiplying the object's coordinates by the transformation matrix. This will result in the new coordinates for the transformed object. The object can then be redrawn using these new coordinates.

5. What are some real-world applications of matrix transformations?

Matrix transformations have many real-world applications, including computer graphics, video game development, and data processing. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering to model and analyze systems and movements in 2D and 3D space.