So, What is the Dimension of the Subspace of Matrices with Trace 0?

In summary, the question asks for the dimension of the subspace S in M5(R) consisting of matrices with trace 0. The correct dimension is 28, as the trace being 0 only restricts the sum of elements on the diagonal, not all individual elements. This was discovered after trying incorrect dimensions of 56 and 60.
xenogizmo
Hey Everyone,
I have this question on my assignment that's confusing me, I think I have the logic right, but for some reason I am getting the wrong answer..
Anyways the question states:

If S is the subspace of M5 (R) consisting of all matrices with trace 0, then dim(S) = ?

Now, I know the trace is the sum of entries in the main diagonal, so I assumed that all the elements on the diagonal are zero..
Which leaves me with 28 non-zero elements above the diagonal and 28 below, which gives a total of 56 elements.. hence a dimension of 56?
However that was wrong.. now I know that for a skew symmetrix matrix of 8x8 we'd have a dimesion of 28 since the ones above are the negative of the ones below.. can anyone please help me out?

I had 6 tries for the question.. and I only have one left! Any help would be greatly appreciated.. I tried 28, 56, and 60, all were wrong..

Thank you very much!
AZH

Physics news on Phys.org
xenogizmo said:
Hey Everyone,
I have this question on my assignment that's confusing me, I think I have the logic right, but for some reason I am getting the wrong answer..
Anyways the question states:

If S is the subspace of M5 (R) consisting of all matrices with trace 0, then dim(S) = ?

Now, I know the trace is the sum of entries in the main diagonal, so I assumed that all the elements on the diagonal are zero..
Which leaves me with 28 non-zero elements above the diagonal and 28 below, which gives a total of 56 elements.. hence a dimension of 56?
However that was wrong.. now I know that for a skew symmetrix matrix of 8x8 we'd have a dimesion of 28 since the ones above are the negative of the ones below.. can anyone please help me out?

I had 6 tries for the question.. and I only have one left! Any help would be greatly appreciated.. I tried 28, 56, and 60, all were wrong..

Thank you very much!
AZH

First, how did M5 get to be 8 by 8 matrices?

Also:
"Now, I know the trace is the sum of entries in the main diagonal, so I assumed that all the elements on the diagonal are zero.."

No, the sum of the elements on the diagonal must be 0. It certainly is not the case that all elements must be 0. You have one equation connecting n (for n by n matrices). If you knew n-1 of them, you could calculate the remaining one.

1. What is a matrix basis?

A matrix basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire space of a matrix. It serves as a reference point for all other vectors in the matrix.

2. How is the basis of a matrix determined?

The basis of a matrix is determined by finding a set of linearly independent vectors that can be combined to create all other vectors in the matrix. This can be done through row reduction or by using the pivot columns of the matrix.

3. What is the dimension of a matrix?

The dimension of a matrix is the number of vectors in its basis. It represents the minimum number of vectors needed to span the entire space of the matrix.

4. Can a matrix have multiple bases?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple bases as long as they are all linearly independent and can span the entire space of the matrix. However, the dimension of the matrix will remain the same regardless of the number of bases.

5. How does the dimension of a matrix affect its properties?

The dimension of a matrix affects its rank, nullity, and determinant. A matrix with a higher dimension will have a higher rank and determinant, and a lower nullity. It also affects the number of solutions to a system of linear equations represented by the matrix.