Matrix Calculator: Solve Matrices Easily & Quickly

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
In summary, there is a useful tool called matrixcalc.org for dealing with matrices. There is also a thread on Physics Forums that lists various online calculators, including the matrixcalc.org tool. This tool has impressive capabilities, such as expanding matrices and handling calculations that are too small to program and too big to do by hand. Additionally, there are other options such as Freemat and the Matlab android app, although the latter requires an internet connection. It is recommended to use a virtual private network (VPN) when using the app over the public internet or via 3G or 4G.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
For all who need to deal with matrices from time to time, I have found a nice tool to calculate with matrices.
https://matrixcalc.org/en/
This could also be phrased as: Check our Calculator thread from time to time:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...h-physics-earth-and-other-curiosities.970262/
I made this extra thread, as the calculator above could handle:
https://matrixcalc.org/en/det.html#...,c,0,0,a,0},{0,0,0,c,0,0,a}}expand-along-row1which I found impressive. No more trouble with matrices too small to write a program and too big to do it by hand.

Likes Wrichik Basu, scottdave, berkeman and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Fresh! I often use Freemat, a Matlab clone that can handle these kinds of calculations too.

jedishrfu said:
Thanks Fresh! I often use Freemat, a Matlab clone that can handle these kinds of calculations too.
I am fond of the Matlab android app, which is free and comes with the symbolic math toobox. It is very helpful, except during an exam.

I think it requires an internet connection and so may not work under all conditions. Also any work you put in gets sent back to the server which is something you may not want to do all the time. But still its good to know about and to have around.

They mention this note:
MATLAB Mobile is intended for use behind a firewall on a private network. Virtual private network (VPN) use is recommended when used over the public Internet or via 3G or 4G
https://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab-mobile.html

I liked that you don't need to know any syntax with the link above. Just type in the fields and go, even with variables: quick and easy.

1. What is a matrix calculator?

A matrix calculator is a tool used to perform mathematical operations on matrices, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and finding the inverse of a matrix. It allows for quick and accurate calculations, especially for larger matrices.

2. How does a matrix calculator work?

A matrix calculator uses algorithms and mathematical formulas to perform operations on matrices. It follows the rules and properties of matrices to accurately solve the given problem. Some calculators may also have additional features, such as graphing and solving systems of equations.

3. What are the benefits of using a matrix calculator?

Using a matrix calculator can save time and reduce the chances of human error when performing calculations on matrices. It also allows for quick and easy manipulation of matrices, making it a useful tool for solving complex problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

4. Can a matrix calculator solve any type of matrix?

Most matrix calculators are capable of solving square matrices, which have an equal number of rows and columns. Some calculators may also be able to handle non-square matrices, but it depends on the specific calculator and its capabilities.

5. Are there any limitations to using a matrix calculator?

While a matrix calculator can handle many mathematical operations on matrices, it may not be able to solve all types of problems. For example, it may not be able to solve matrices with complex numbers or matrices with missing values. It is important to check the capabilities of the specific calculator before using it for a particular problem.