How can I reverse a coded message using a transformation matrix?

• Thread starter gtfitzpatrick
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the transformation of a message using a matrix and the confusion of how to reverse the transformation. It is clarified that the inverse should be multiplied by each column vector, not the entire output message. The correct message is revealed to be "do your homework."
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

in coding a msg, a black space was represented by 0, an A by 1,a B by 2 etc...The msg was transformed using the matrix

-1 -1 2 0
1 1 -1 0
0 0 -1 1
1 0 0 -1

and sent out as -19,19,25,-21,0,18,-18,15,3,10,-8,3,-2,20,-7,12

so what I've tried is...

so to reverse the transform i think i get the inverse of the transform matrix and multiply by the outputed answer

for the inverse i got

1 1 1 1
0 1 -1 -1
1 1 0 0
1 1 1 0

and multiplied it by
-19 19 25 -21
0 18 -18 15
3 10 -8 3
-2 20 -7 12

and got

-18 67 -8 9
-1 -12 -3 0
-19 37 7 -6
-16 47 -1 -3

which i was just going to convert back into letters to get the msg,but what letter is 67 or 37...Confussed...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't supposed to multiply the inverse by the matrix of all of the integers in the message, you are supposed to multiply it by each of the column vectors [-19,19,25,-21]^T, [0,18,-18,15]^T etc. You could also transpose your data matrix.

thats dick, i'd just figured it out, i was just putting the coded msg in the wrong way round---the msg reads - do your homework-very good

What is a coded message?

A coded message is a piece of information that has been intentionally scrambled or encoded using a specific system or method in order to make it difficult for others to understand.

Why would someone need to solve a coded message?

A coded message may need to be solved in order to understand its contents and intended meaning. This can be important in situations where sensitive or confidential information is being transmitted.

How can I solve a coded message?

Solving a coded message typically involves identifying the specific encoding system or method that was used and then using that knowledge to decipher the message. This can be done through trial and error or by using specialized tools and techniques.

What are some common methods for coding messages?

Some common methods for coding messages include substitution ciphers, transposition ciphers, and steganography (hiding a message within another medium). Other methods may involve the use of codes or symbols, such as Morse code or Braille.

Are there any tips for successfully solving a coded message?

Some tips for solving a coded message include looking for patterns, analyzing the frequency of letters or symbols, and considering the context or purpose of the message. It can also be helpful to have knowledge of different encoding systems and techniques.