1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix composition question

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that T : R2 → R2 is linear and has matrix

-2 1
    5 2

with respect to the standard basis S of R2.

B = 1 1
    5 6

(B is another poorly constructed matrix)

What is the matrix of T with respect to B?

2. Relevant equations

T[itex]_{C,B}[/itex] = (T[itex]_{C,S}[/itex])[itex]^{-1}[/itex]I[itex]_{B,S}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Please see the pdf called q6b

Also to see the question better presented look at problems1.pdf. Go to Problem sheet 3 question 6b

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2011 #2
    sorry guys, I should point out that

the answer to the question should be

3 7
    0 -3

which I don't seem to be getting

4. Aug 20, 2011 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is wrong. A matrix in a new basis B is IBS-1T IBS

ehild

5. Aug 20, 2011 #4
    When you say T, do you mean T with respect to the standard basis ?

6. Aug 20, 2011 #5

In terms of basis reference, does your formula do the following (in terms of matrix composition)

1. You create the identity map of matrix B with respect to the standard basis

2. You multiply the B identity map with T to create a new matrix with respect
    to the standard basis ?

3. You multiply the result of step 2 with the inverse of the identity map in step 1 to get the answer with respect to B

7. Aug 20, 2011 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With respect to the standard basis T=Ts, and Tb=IBS-1Ts IBS is the matrix of the linear transformation in the new basis.

Think: The new basic vectors b1, b2 are B times the standard basic vectors. Edit: With "B"I denoted the matrix with columns equal to the basic vectors b1 and b2. And you get beck the standard basic vectors by multiplying b1, b2 by B-1.
    T transforms the basic vectors of B into vectors Tb1 and Tb2, defined in the standard basis. You need to express these vectors in terms of the new basis, so apply B-1 to them.

8. Aug 20, 2011 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You explained it very well.:smile: Yes. that is what I wanted to do, but I could not express myself so well.

ehild

9. Aug 20, 2011 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just a word about notation: It does not really make sense to ask about the matrix of a linear transformation "with respect to" another matrix. In your attached pdf files, B is NOT a matrix, it is two vectors, a new basis for [itex]R^2[/itex].

Another way to find the matrix of a linear transformation with respect to a given (ordered) basis is: Apply the linear transformation to the each basis vector in turn. Write the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The coefficients give the columns of the matrix.

10. Aug 20, 2011 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks, HallsofIvy. I know that I cannot mix vectors with transformations...I just used that the matrix that transforms the standard basis into a new basis has columns equal to the new basic vectors.
    I hope, I am right... Being a physicist, I use Maths a bit sloppy way.

11. Aug 20, 2011 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the standard basis is e1=[1 0]^t and e2=[0 1]^t (^t = transpose) and b1=[1 5]^t, b2 = [1 6]^t, you can express e1 and e2 as linear combinations of b1 and b2, just by solving the equations b1=e1+5*e2 and e2=e1+6*e2 for e1 and e2; you can do this just as though the e's and b's were real variables instead of vectors---the algebra does not care what they are. A vector v = x1*b1 + x2*b2 can thus be written in terms of basis {e1,e2}, say as y1*e1+y2*e2, with y1,y2 = known linear combinations of x1,x2. Applying the matrix A = [[-2 1],[5 2]]to v = y1*e1+y2*e2 gives (-2y1+y2)*e1+(5y1+2y2)*e2. Now back-substitute for the yi in terms of the xi and for the ej in terms of the bj. You should get the result Tv = (3x1+7x2)*b1+(-3x2)*b2. Therefore, the matrix representation of T in the basis {b1,b2} is [[3 7],[0 -3]]. Once you have grasped these concepts through some simple examples, done step-by-laborious-step, then you can more successfully see where the matrix formulae come from and what they mean.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook